• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sleep troubles?

Hey guys I started Remicade about 7 weeks ago now and its been going great. Only 1 problem I cannot sleep. Ive had problems with this since Ive had Crohns but its gotten worse since remicade started. It is now 5:15am and I havent slept a second yet tonight and I need to be up in 2 hours for a uni final... Just wondering if anyone has had this and if so any suggestions?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've been meaning to ask my doctor about this - I have been waking up multiple times a night - last night was in bed about 930, finally fell asleep around 11?....then awake multiple times, the last about 5am (alarm set for 615).....

I recently read an article about the inflammatory process taking place in this disease having a large contribution to unstable moods and insomnia. (Seems like Crohn's affects EVERYTHING, yeah?) Dunno about Remicade though...hope not, I'm doing my first infusion soon!

Hope you all get some rest!

I cant sleep either, and Ive only had one dose of Remicade. I think its more due to the Prednisone for my sleep problems, however, I take Amatriptaline for sleep and it really helps. Its actually a depression med, but has great sleeping effects. The only issue is, if not taken early....you will be to tired to get up in the morning. But when I take it early in the evening, I get 8-12 hours of full rest, uninterrupted and I feel good when I get up in the morning. I would check into it.....

Sleep problems here too. I can only sleep about 2 to 3 hours at a time but I think for me it's because of the Prednisone, I'm not on Remicade yet.

Wow thanks for the responses everybody. This sounds stupid but I have absolutely no problems once I fall asleep and some mornings can sleep straight through 2 alarms. I just cant get to sleep. I have a hard time describing it. My mind doesnt race, Im not uncommfortable, and Im not going to the bathroom. My exam where I had 2 hours sleep actually went better than my full night sleeep though.... Maybe the secret....

Edit: shannon did you happen to have a link to that article you mentioned?