• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Slight leak?(Convatec content)

So I've been going with Convatec as my primary tool for the job. I have found only one problem with it and I'm wondering if it is design or me. I have the Convatec roll up/velcro type bag. I'm finding that after a few days, depending maybe a day, I will open up my bag to find a little bit of poopified liquid on the outside of the white plastic. I'm not sure how this happens but it can be annoying when it's 5am and I wake up to empty my bag only to have my hands covered with liquid stool because of this. Maybe this is more of a rant then anything else but if anyone can offer any tips on stopping this from happening. I've tried everything from tightening it as much as possible to letting it be loose to not letting the plastic bend too much. No matter what I will get this substance.

God bless,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I use Hollister and it also does that! When unrolling the end to empty, there is usually just a little liquid near the tail. Before the recent Hollister lock n roll redesign, this did not happen.

So, I don't have any ideas, but I wish they could solve that problem. Once thing I noticed with Hollister is that when I put on a new bag on at night - when I empty in the morning the tail will be clean. This makes me think it is the moisture on the inside of the tail leftover rom the previous emptying that is leaking out. I've tried drying the inside of the tail better but it still leaks a bit.

I hope all is well...

Hey Joe,

Yeah, I believe it's that as well. One thing I have noticed is that if Convatec puts the velcro in just the right spot that this won't happen, at least it takes much longer. I wonder if it's because they can't always get the velcro in the correct spot. Not sure. I've tried cleaning the thing all the way down the tail and I still get it. It's just a bit annoying when I wake up and am just sleepy to realize what's going on.

Thanks, maybe we should make a petition for these companies to fix the problem.haha

I'm doing great! Getting ready to leave in a little over a month for seminary. I hope you are doing well!

Terriernut

Same thing here!!! Lets petitition! However, I have to say, if the bag is changed in two days, not so much of a problem. Wear and tear?

Terriernut

If I had to pay for all of this, I'd be shitting myself...oh wait...........:rof:

I have to change bags no more than three days tops. No matter what manufacturer I use, 3 days for a bag. There just doesnt seem to be an option. 2 days for a bag is ideal. Now think about it. Why would the manufacturers want it to last longer...less money for them. Sigh.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I use the Convatec, filterless, transparent bag and I don't have that problem. When I empty I use flushable toilet "paper" to clean out the inside of the tail end before closing it up again. The flushables are a little stronger than the dry toilet paper.
A suggestion that may help???

hi ya Jeff, I found that I use to have output on the outside of my bag too until I switched to the filterless bags as the filter would leak after a day. Those little stickers they'd supply with the bags just wouldn't cut it. I did try using a band aid and it worked but I am not going to spend $$$ for something that the company should be providing as I have enough bills to pay.

Try calling Convatec and tell them what you told us. They are always open to what we have to say. I've been a customer for 25 years (minus the 1 year after my surgery last year due to what the hospital gave me (Hollister--UGH!! 1 day wear time!! BUT I switched back to them as soon as I could once I got the insurance's blessing). Their customer service is AWESOME and they do listen to what ostomates have to say.

Here is their toll free #: 1-888-422-8811.

Terriernut

I use the Convatec, filterless, transparent bag and I don't have that problem. When I empty I use flushable toilet "paper" to clean out the inside of the tail end before closing it up again. The flushables are a little stronger than the dry toilet paper.
A suggestion that may help???
Those are a big help to me Heike! But only when my eyes are open! It's the 4 am bit that causes all the ruckus for me. Thankfully not every night. Yawn. This is in the stoma 'thall shalt nots'' and do I turn on the light and look what I'm doing....noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will call them when I get back in a week. I don't use a filter as they always left liquid on my shirts and I couldn't have that. :) I also use the transparent bag so I can make sure I get everything out that I need to. It only really bothers me at night, the rest of the time I remember. Thanks guys for the help!

Jeff d

Jeff,
call convayec maybe they have a answer for you.
I use convatec ( but i use a one piece.)
i always empty before i go to bed.
Just once a had a problem.
I did not change it soon enough.
I change it about 5 times a day.\
TERRY

Thanks Terry. It's not a big problem. I'm not having blowouts or anything big, just the leaky water. I don't know how you change your bag that many times. The most I had to change was 4 times and my skin was so raw from all the changing...

Terriernut

Jeff,
call convayec maybe they have a answer for you.
I use convatec ( but i use a one piece.)
i always empty before i go to bed.
Just once a had a problem.
I did not change it soon enough.
I change it about 5 times a day.\
TERRY
Terry, you're changing 5 times a day??? Or do you mean emptying? Can you clarify, cause it sounds like something isn't working right for you and maybe we can help?

Misty, that's what I was trying to get to in my strange way. Terry, you definitely shouldn't be changing your bag 5 times per day.