• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Slow functioning bladder. HELP

I could use some advice. My father has long been diagnosed with Crohns and I think has now hit a major roadblock. He’s having more difficulties with urinating. (It’s gotten really bad over the last 6 years) A test showed that his spincter muscle and his bladder are slow. He’s been on and off using a catheter for years now. He’s gone to emerge 5 times now, just dropped him off for the 6th time not to long ago. He’s had CT scan and it showed that his intestines are inflamed and they believe he’s got a viral infection.

He’s been extremely anxious over a number of new problems with his health. Too may things happening all at once.

This could be a result of his infection as well as the stress. As someone with crohns too I know what stress can do to my bowels.

Any one out there has a weak and slow bladder? Help.

Scipio

How old is your father? I presume he is middle-aged or older, in which case his urination problems could be due to an enlarged prostate. It's very common in older guys. They usually treat it with either medication to shrink the tissues or minor surgery to remove some of the tissue and reopen the pathway for the urine.

Mid 50’s and yes he does have an enlarged prostrate. He recently had that green light procedure to fix his narrowing urinary tract. Looks like it reverted again.

How old is your father? I presume he is middle-aged or older, in which case his urination problems could be due to an enlarged prostate. It's very common in older guys. They usually treat it with either medication to shrink the tissues or minor surgery to remove some of the tissue and reopen the pathway for the urine.