• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Slow output question from a newb

So it's been two and a half weeks since surgery (goodbye colon, hello ileostomy). I was on clear liquids for most of the time, and the output was pretty consistent.

Well, I finally had some mashed potatoes exactly 24 hours ago. Since then, there's been some output, and it's definitely thicker, but it is taking forever. I emptied my bag at 9 a.m. and it's now 11:30 a.m. and my bag is still empty; normally, there's at least something there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I remain on liquids until more comes out, or can I try something else (like scrambled eggs)?

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Mornings are always slow output time for me. If that is all you ate I would think it may take awhile. I would think the potatoes are through by now. As long as you're not in pain or nauseated I think you'll be okay. I would give the eggs a try if you feel up to it.

Now it's 3:30 p.m., and there's still no output. Before I started solids, I had plenty of output. I have no idea what to make of this.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
I know I'm late getting back here, but have thing picked up for you? Hopefully it has.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I have had that. If your not bloated or nauseated I wouldn't worry.
If you didn't eat much the bit you passed may be all there is to pass.
Try drinking fluids to see what happens. G2 is good because it's low sugar.
Lots of sugar and an ileo can lead to the trots. If your blocked you'll know it.
Waves of pain, bloating and vomiting. Keep us posted.

When I had my ileostomy all I had was massive output and had to go to the hospital many times for dehydration. Maybe I should have tried the mashed potatoes! Sure you are ok as long as your not in pain, bloated etc.

PsychoJane

Let us know if it go better?
I can be "slow" to get out. Usually the food I eat goes through me within about 4-5 hours. But it varies according to my hydration level. Mashed potatoes are really one of the slow food. Apple sauce is a bit better in term of, slow but not too slow kinda thing. If even it is a blockage... well, the pain would let you know that this is a possibility. Without pain, I would not worry too much.

I also agree that it sounds about right for mashed potatoes. Keep on with your soft foods and drink plenty of fluids. If no pain and no nausea, most likely things are fine.

It finally resolved itself and there was no pain. Today I had a small portion of scrambled eggs for my solid food. Otherwise, it was Ensure Plus and Ensure Clear, in addition to TPN.

Tomorrow I'll probably try some mild chees in my eggs. I want to eat more, but I'm afraid if I have a problem I won't know which food caused it. I'm thinking of trying some egg noodles as well. I want to eat chicken, but I'm not yet sure what type to get. (Also, because I have ascites from my liver disease, I need to keep sodium to an absolute minimum.)

All of this trepidation is because I was severely constipated for years and am worried that it wasn't all in my colon. Of course, I don't know the truth either way, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

I remember those fears well. Mine was 3 months ago and things are just now getting to a point that I understand everything and can begin to rely on timing, etc. Stick to a low-residue diet for at least the first 4-6 weeks and you should be fine. You'll be eating anything you want before you know it!! :)

I'm starting to get a little more comfortable. I had some egg noodles yesterday at about 5:30 p.m., and they took about 10 hours to pass, so maybe my digestion is just slower than normal, regardless of food. Thankfully, there hasn't been any pain. At times I can feel a bit of pressure, but it's only a slight discomfort.