• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small Bowel Crohns

Hi everyone!

My name is Ashley and here is my story. September 2015 I began noticing that I was constantly bloated/constipated/nauseated and had no relief. I tried eating healthier and drinking more fluids but had no relief!

I went to my GP and she put me on dicetel 3 times a dayear with the thought that perhaps my food was sitting too long in my stomach. In the meantime for 30 days she suggested I cut out gluten and lactose as well, unfortunately this did not help. She sent me to a gastroenterologist who I finally met for the first time last month.

From September to January I was relying on 25-50mg of senokot every night in order to have a bowel movement otherwise I couldn't pass anything. When I met my gastro, he ordered an abdominal ultrasound, barium swallow upper gi and a small bowel follow through. The upper gi and ultrasound came out clear. The small bowel follow through showed edema and ulcers formation in my terminal ileum and my doctor stated that this is consistent with small bowel Crohn's.

My gastro is out of the country for the next few weeks so I got my results from my GP. My gastro is performing a colonoscopy at the end of the month which I guess is supposed to show more of what's going on. He will take a biopsy to 100% be sure it's Crohn's. In the meantime my doctor has prescribed me constella(linzess) every morning before meals. I've been on this for one week and have had no relief. The first day I took it, it completely cleared me out LOL! But since then I can only pass very small bowel movements. The bloating and pain still persists :(

Anyone going through this? Any words of advice? As of now I do not have any Gluten or lactose. I take one dosecond of Miralax at night as well as the higher dose constella(linzess) in the morning.

I have a hard time finding posts about small bowel crohns ( as I suffer from constipation and not diarrhea)

Hi I have had crohns of the small bowel for 35 years I was diagnosed at 18 when they removed a burst appendix its hard to be diagnosed with crohns so keep a diary of when you feel pain when you go to the toilet when you bloat there is a book out there called the care and feeding of irritable bowel it helped me with foods to keep away from I have had many resections don't eat red meat and fruit try a fleet enema it may help good luck Ashley

Welcome , Ashley, to this forum. I have Crohn's in the small intestine and also in the colon. My experience has been mostly fistulas, an abscess and a bowel obstruction. I hope you get some answers soon. Keep us updated.

Welcome , Ashley, to this forum. I have Crohn's in the small intestine and also in the colon. My experience has been mostly fistulas, an abscess and a bowel obstruction. I hope you get some answers soon. Keep us updated.

Hi Ashley
I'm in a similar situation as you. I had a small bowel follow through which showed abnormalities consistent with Crohn's. I have a colonoscopy of Friday to confirm. I was always told I have IBS and I think part of the reason Crohn's was never suspected is because I tend to be constipated and rarely have diarrhea. My GI who I have only seen once mentioned Crohn's when I told him I had point tenderness in my lower right abdomen. I believe that I may have a stricture there because he said there was narrowing and inflammation. I know how hard it is waiting for an actual diagnosis. I wish you the best!

Hi Ashley. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease in the small intestine for about 17 years now. They recently cut out the infected part, so I'm not in any pain anymore; however, I was in constant pain for 3 years before my surgery, so I understand your pain.