• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small bowel transit time.

Hi everyone

I recently had a capsule endoscopy & ive been told that I need it repeating due to it only taking 1hr to move through my small bowel. Is this normal?
Getting abit flustered over a repeat cause we all know that kleanprep is awful lol
They did say what they could see is normal, which is frustrating as I know what happens when I go to the toilet is just not normal (sorry), I’m currently diagnosed as indeterminate IBD .

Any advice welcome

Scipio

I recently had a capsule endoscopy & ive been told that I need it repeating due to it only taking 1hr to move through my small bowel. Is this normal?
I'm not sure what is "normal," especially for people like us who are suffering from IBD. When I had a capsule camera endoscopy the small bowel transit time was about 8 hours.

Yeah I guess normal should be used loosely in IBD lol
I suppose I’m just worried that all my tests are gonna be ‘normal’ and I won’t get a definite diagnosis.

my little penguin

Staff member
We were told for ds the camera battery is only good for 6 hours
His was always placed in the duodenum during scopes to miss the moving in the stomach
Typically only took 2-3 hours .
Good luck