• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small bowel went BOOM, and now I got Crohn's :)

Hi, my name is Ivan, 44 years old, and I live in Rio Grande do Sul, southerm Brazilian state (sorry for my poor english).

In the last 10 years I had events such as anemia, stomach pain (caffeine at afternoon), lactose intolerance... went to hospital a few times but it was a normal active life. Weight lifting and Muay Thai included.

By the end of november 2017 I was taking some anti-inflammatories for an achilles tendinitis and then other medicine for cough.

I had stomach pain in a thursday night and went to hospital. Was medicated and released. But, this time, the pain was back... and I went back to hospital. Spend the night on observation. By moring I was painless when, all of sudden, a huge pain explodes from my belly to my shoulder... there was a nurse around and I shout: "call a doctor, there's something wrong", and fell from couch on the ground.

Well, my small bowel had break up and I went to surgery. There was an obstruction, 40 cm of small bowel removed...

Spend a few days on hospital, biopsy would take some time. Went home and after two days couldn't beath properly. Had 1,6 liters of liquid in my pleura... more days in hospital.

Then results came and I was diagnosed with Crohn's. I was fine for some days, then a pain started in lower abdomen.

Was at home playing PS4 with my kids when a fistula erupted and yellow liquid started moving out from my belly.

Hospital again, lucky, it went outside and I didnt need surgery.

Now I'm adapting with food (never ate so much fish in my life and I miss brazilian churrasco/ BBQ). Lost 15kg.

I'm using Mezalazine, Azarioprine (and a few other medicines to sleep etc) and will start Remicade on february 14.

I'm lucky I don't have diarrhea and as I work on public service I can manage my work time.

Well, that's me, joining you guys in this life changing journey.

I know it's going to be tough, but I have two kids to care for. My mind is ok and I'm doing pretty well so far. Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:

scottsma

Welcome Ivan,but sorry you have to be here of course.You've had a bad time but seem to be coping ok now,long may it last.There will be many newly diagnosed people who will find your post helpful,and of course,anything we can advise you with,we will.Keep well.
Your English is very good.