• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small bulge in belly button but no pain

Hi
I am a crohnie from India who is currently under medication (pentasa and azathioprine).Underwent surgeries (ileostomy, reversal etc) in 2012 and I can say that the disease is in control . Lately I can see a small bulge in my belly button but no pain as such, I am worried and need your advice as my doctor is not available this month. Have anyone experienced this, let me know.

Hi, it could be a hernia. Is it painful? It probably isn't related to crohn's but obviously you should check with your doctor. Is it possible to talk on the phone with your doctor. If it is a hernia and it isn't painful, it's not an urgent matter but I am only going on the little info you have provided.

Thank you Jo-mom for your reply. There is no pain as of now. I have fixed an appt with my doctor in September . I got in touch with him over the phone but he said as long as there is no pain and other symptoms it can wait..Also in this pandemic situation I dont wanna take chances by visiting multiple hospitals looking out for other doctors. Hence thought of checking in this forum . Thanks once again.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I second the idea of the possible hernia. have you tried pushing the bump inside softly (very light pressure) ? if its a debuting hernia, it could be popped back inside the belly.

Hi Lady Organic, I tried pushing it inside but cudnt. I have occasional pain also these days. Finally i consulted a doctor today. He said it is umbilical hernia. Need to take a scan to confirm. He said it's not emergency but surgery is the only option.Can someone advice me if there is a conservative way of treating this umbilical hernia without a surgery.

Lady Organic

Staff member
I know a person who wore a belt for inguinal hernia. Looking at google, there seem to be models for umbilical hernia too. Belts could help postpone the surgery. These are probably sold in pharmacies so a pharmacist could guide you with this. I am thinking about an evaluation by a physiotherapist? Maybe this professional can come up with good advice in order to maintain optimal muscular tonus in the abdominal region to help with this condition.

Thanks Lady organic. Will surely chk out your suggestions. I have opened a new post on umbilical hernia so that our forum members can throw some more light on the topic.