• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small Fiber Neuropathy

Curious to know who else has a diagnosis of SFN?

A biopsy just came back positive for it. Since MRI’s and bloodwork came back okay, I now have to have a spinal tap to test my spinal fluid for causes. I was told that since SFN is autoimmune, the reason I could have it, is Crohn’s Disease. I did read a few medical articles as well, in which nerve issues, such as SFN, can occur with Crohn’s.

If you’re diagnosed with SFN, what are you taking to treat the condition/pain?

Hello, I had a spinal tap a few years ago to check for MS as I have foot drop and pins and needles in my feet and lower legs and now in my fingers. It came back negative but I would now not have it as it can damage the spine and cause nerve damage if it goes wrong. There are numerous causes for neuropathy but diabetes is a major cause.
Severe alcoholism can cause neuropathy or genetics. Pressure on a sciatic nerve in the leg. The list goes on and on. I still have no diagnosis just advised to have physio and I wear a stretchy ankle support. The good news is there are meds to control symptoms and it is not life threatening. The down side is living with discomfort, adapting your life and depression. Plenty of rest and fun always helps.

Curious to know who else has a diagnosis of SFN?

A biopsy just came back positive for it. Since MRI’s and bloodwork came back okay, I now have to have a spinal tap to test my spinal fluid for causes. I was told that since SFN is autoimmune, the reason I could have it, is Crohn’s Disease. I did read a few medical articles as well, in which nerve issues, such as SFN, can occur with Crohn’s.

If you’re diagnosed with SFN, what are you taking to treat the condition/pain?

Hi, i have had a diagnosis of SFN related to Humira, it is a known side effect. It can be permanent. I know what you mean with the pain as it is excruciating. I have gone on a very long journey with this and it has taken a long time for me to feel i can survive.