• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Smell and Sweating Starting Again After Surgery

nogutsnoglory

The only thing I can think of is that maybe before and immediately after surgery you eliminated a particular type of food. If that is now back in your diet it may be causing body odor.

nogutsnoglory

I think most GI's would say no it's not possible but I had surgery and 6 weeks later knew the disease was active and I had pain. I never heard of Crohn's causing sweats. It could be a medication side effect. Some foods do also cause sweating.

nogutsnoglory

I had pain and cramping like I did before surgery. My doctors insisted it was just healing but it persisted. They dismissed it saying inflammation can't come back so quickly. That was a year ago and now I have major scar tissue. I am convinced they were wrong.

I had night sweats when my crohn's was active and during a flare. So it sounds like it *might* be crohn's symptoms, sorry to say... but of course, I don't know. Did you call your doctor and let him know about your symptoms after you saw him? Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Sarah. That's what I'm afraid of...sigh. Then all the pain and suffering was all for naught if I'm having a Crohn's flare. Every doctor and I went to many before and after surgery said it would be the answer to remission. Unbelievable if that's what's happening. Only thing is I can now eat (not everything and not going crazy) whereby before surgery I couldn't eat. Surgery was my last option since I can't take any of the meds. Ran out of options after all these years of having Crohn's. Now what??? This just can't be happening because this was my last shot!!
Glad that you're in remission and I pray you stay there:)
But your doctor said it might take 3-6 months to feel better. I think you should call and let him know about your symptoms and just see what he says.

You're not having any fever or redness, smell at the site of the incision, are you? If not, never mind... I was thinking infection. Anyway, don't start worrying about it now since your doctor said 3-6 months.... call him and and see what he says first. :rosette1:

I,m here inthe UK,after my last bowel resection,I started experiencing problems six weeks after surgery,first it was all my joints swelling up and put on large doses of prednisolone,I could eat,but could not walk,get out of bed,my mouth filled up with ulcers and to be honest I was distraught,I am about to now undergo my fourth bowel op for Crohns,so any Dr who says thereis a chance it won't come back,are talking throughthere A **.I hate this god Dam Illness,it has ruined a lotof my life.Needless to say I am terrified about this up and coming surgery to remove scar tissue from my Terminal Ileium,especially as at the moment I am feeling not too bad,am able to work part time, and think that this op is really going to knock me back.I have to have it done as I am getting quite a few partial blockages and ending up in hospital,even though I mash up all of my food.
Just to let you know really that after each of my op the crohns as come back within weeks.
Ope you start to feel better soon.xxxxx

nogutsnoglory

I don't know if its GI's as a whole or my experience but I think they think inflammation takes months to develop. Maybe it does for most but I have an aggressive disease. I'm on a biologic now and hopefully that will help.

As I said the crohns came back after about six- eight weeks,each time I have had to go back on Prednisolone,most surgeries it's been between8-10 years,only because I have not wanted to go down surgery route at the time,and have had to live on medication and stints in and out of hospital,But now my Terminal Ileium is almost closed and its a case of I have to have this surgery,to be honest with all this illness over the years it's a wonder I have,nt ended up with a severe mental illness,Oh I,ve cried lots of times and have felt sorry for myself,why should,nt we!!!!!!!!but I have carried on,mainly cos I have people round me who I love very much,my kids,my husband,my brothers and sisters,but sometimes you wonder how much more of this you can actually put up with,One thing tho,if everything is ok with this next op,I really do not want anymore after this,enough is enough.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling so good :-( I agree, I think you should call your GI. I had a resection back in September and went back to see the GI in January. I'm feeling very well and bloods were all good. He has asked me to go back in a couple of months to have a fecal calprotectin test to make sure the disease is not 'sneaking back up on you.' He told me that unfortunately sometimes it can come back and that a favourite site for that to happen is at the join.
At least maybe they could determine if your symptoms are related to your open incision or not?