• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Smell of food.

It seems every once and a while the smell of cooked meat will start to make me nauseous. This will last from days to weeks. Which is unfortunate because meat is a lot easier on my gut than a lot of veggies are. Usually it's when I'm flaring, or not feeling well. Sometimes though, like today, I don't really feel too bad.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or have any idea what may cause this?

Certain foods will make me feel that way as well. It depends at the time but it could be your body telling you that you have enough nutrients from whatever is being cooked and not enough from something else, if veggies cause you a problem then it's probably your body wanting veggies and not meat but you can't eat the veggies or it will cause you problems. You may want to add some supplements to your diet if that's the case.

Kev

I've heard, anecdotally, that nausea brought on by the smell of food often means one is pregnant... hmm, dont' think you need to pee on a stick. The other widely attributed cause is 'gallbladder' issues. Have you told your doctor about this?

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it. It's been a while, so I suppose it would be worth mentioning again.

I've been very nauseous by 4-5pm a lot lately. Might have been from the anti-biotics I've been on though, now that I think of it. I'm done with those today though.

Kev

Oh, there's a distinction you didn't mention, and I didn't think to ask about. If the nausea is keeping to a schedule, it's likely meds related. Like, gallbladder issues can cause nausea; but it should happen almost every time you approach food.

J

jodes

sick of feeling sick

Kev said:
Oh, there's a distinction you didn't mention, and I didn't think to ask about. If the nausea is keeping to a schedule, it's likely meds related. Like, gallbladder issues can cause nausea; but it should happen almost every time you approach food.
It's funny you should mention feeling sick, for the last four day's now i have been feeling sick most of the day. I finished the pred four day's ago now so i am not sure wether i am heading for a flare or what, i also have mild stomach pain it is just horrible ???

Kev

Think what your'e feeling is the absence of the pred... makes us feel like we're superman or something while we take it... then, coming off it we either flare, or go thru withdrawal... or just go back to 'normal' .. feeling like we are sick or something.. We just cant' win

Makes one wonder why pred is so widely used as the go to solution. You're flaring, you go on it for a while (too long), and get a plethora of side effects (even though the flare dies down some, it may not go entirely, I still flared), then, you try to come off it and you get even worse, go through withdrawal symptoms....in the end, one barely saw any benefit from it (at least my case). I am debatably worse now than when I was started on pred last Oct, and I've been off it for 9 days. Why did I go on it again? (seriously, I can't really answer that). The temporary relief wasn't worth the sides, so that's in my case at least, not one of those "the benefits outweigh the sides/risks", too bad.

Kev

Ever see one of those 'one in a million' plays in sports? You know, the ones that really don't stand a chance, but happen anyway? My 1st outbreak, went on high dose pred for 45 days... never had another outbreak for nearly 10 years. Think it happens often enuff, even tho rare.. that doc's go in with great hope. Besides, its not that there is an overly long list of drugs they CAN try (shorterm) that don't have far worse risks. Like, they know the pred will work (shorterm definitely.. and one might even get 'lucky' after you taper off of it).. It's only a case that the known long term risks of pred can't be ignored either.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
When I was pregnant the smell of certain foods would just about send me over the edge. Blech! I have found that when I'm nauseated from my CD, the smell of eggs, some meat, and certain spices will make the nausea worse. Before I was diagnosed with CD, there were times when I would have an aversion to certain foods. I find it ironic that now that I know that I have CD, along with what foods to avoid; my body was issuing a warning years before.

THe only food thing that has made me nauseas(when not pregnant) was the Bison steak I cooked for my guy. He is on a organic/grain fed low fat meat kick and I am trying to be supportive - so I bought and cooked the bison prime rib - and the smell just turned me off of it so much I couldn't eat it.