• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Smell?

smell?

gross question - does fistula drainage have a distinct smell? my fistula comes out right next to my vagina. i don't think the smell is coming from the vagina, though. i get smelly down there, and not when i've pooped recently. this isn't stool smelling. i can't describe it. it doesn't smell bad, it just smells.... idk... musky? it doesn't smell like fish and i don't have any signs/symptoms of bacterial vaginosis or a yeast infection. it really seems to emanate from the fistula hole.
i drink a lot of chamomile tea. can that make you smell? the smell also seems to get strong and then not so strong. i just can't figure out if it's soemthing i'm eating/drinking that's causing it, or if it's just fistula drainage or healing juices. it seems worse when i sweat down there. is it just from everything being moist and not getting enough air?
sorry for all the graphicness.
i hate fistulas. :thumbdown:

I hate them too. :(
Mine is perhaps 1/4 inch from my anus. Often times the stuff that comes out smells kinda sweet - esp when it is greenish. I don't know if the different smells mean anything.

Yea they do have a distinct smell I would call it a sweet musky smell, your right fistulas are the pits hope u feel better soon.

I don't like the smell either, mine is rectal. :/

I have just had a seton placed last week and the pus keeps changing colors.. It looks.. Cleaner..? It's odd. I see blood again today though. Kinda worried.. I don't notice the smell often in mine. I have terrible allergies year round though. Maybe it's natural
Defense!! Haha

KWalker

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the blood Gabbismommy. When I had mine opened there was also quite a bit of blood draining out at first, but it eventually stopped. I still get blood here and there depending on how long I've been sitting. It does tend to stink pretty bad too, I don't think there's anything pleasant about the smell either, but from what the doctor told me, it's a good thing because that means the infection is coming out.

For those of you who haven't you should check out my discussion called "lots of blood/puss" It's a little bit of my story from when I dealt with a HUGE abscess back in November/December