• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Smoking with Crohns

Hey guys, I've had crohns since I was 13 and I am now age 25. I recently flaired resulting in a 4 day trip to the hospital and lost a ton of blood. The flair happened while I was smoking and it scared me so I stopped when I was in the hospital.

2 days after getting out of the hospital my girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me. 5 days after she broke up with me she moved on already and I'm hurting really bad.

I smoked for 5 years of my life before the flair and it's been about 3 and half weeks since I smoked a cigarette but at this point I feel I'm going insane. I wouldn't care as much because I would be feeding into the addiction but from I'm afraid I would flair again. While I was smoking cigarettes I never had any issues until I quit for a few months in the summer of 2015 while not having insurance or any medicine.

I recently lost my dad in September and my brother needs a heart transplant so I'm extremely vulnerable about that and with the breakup/flair I feel having a couple would just help me and give me the confidence I need to get back to myself.

Should I smoke or could this cause me to go into a full flair again? I'm on 20 mg prednisone and 2000 mg pentasa daily. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi drew, really sorry about your situation. Smoking is very acidic to the body, something someone with crohn's doesn't need more of. I smoked on and off - sometimes giving up for many yrs - and was always worse off health-wise when smoking. Try doing something positive, maybe make a health-boosting smoothie rather than soothing your system with something negative. It's surely bound to make you feel much better! :)

I'm sorry to hear about such a unfortunate train of events, I caved and had just a couple puffs of a coworkers dart after a busy dinner service the other night and not smoking with Crohn's for like a solid year and it absolutely DESTROYED my system. Same thing, bad D lost a little blood, thankfully not enough to have to take a trip down to the ER for a transfusion but enough nonetheless. It sucks to have to let go of a vice for stress, especially when inflammation is already wreaking havoc on your nervous system, but it will do you a ton of good in the long run on many fronts to push it aside. If you have a spare hour or two, and any energy whatsoever, take a trip, push some weights and if you're into video games at all I find they help dish out some stress paired with physical activity. Sounds ridiculous but it's helped me thus far.

Hope you feel better soon man,

Keenan

fuzzy butterfly

Hi DrewT i stopped smoking just over 2yrs ago after an ileostomy. I went on the electronic cigs and have been fine with those. May not suit everyone but has kept my sanity without any issues. Best wishes 💕

Smoking impedes healing, makes it take longer, longer means possibly more scar tissue? :shifty:

I'm so sorry about your relationship.:sorry: :hang: Hang out with other supportive folks, family, friends, I know bad habits are hard to break. :tear:

Drew, I understand.
I smoked for 7 years and didn't quit until 2 years after my diagnosis.

Smoking won't give you the control you desire. If you quit, you will have accomplished something and returned your power!

It's not easy. But I really believe anyone can quit. You get to choose. This is YOUR life.