• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So Depressed

I thought I found a Dr. I could trust. On our first visit I explained how I react on steriods and begged him not to prescribe them ever. I asked that a note be added to my chart. I told him my life was finally back on track and I could not handle any kind of steroid because I get darkly depressed.

While under anesthesia, he gave me a steriod injection. NEVER mentioned it at discharge either. I haven't stopped crying since so I looked at my file online and saw it. :( I am angry and sad.

scottsma

That's disgraceful.I hope it wears off soon.It reminds me of an observation I posted a while back.
What's the difference between an surgeon and God ?

God doesn't think He's a surgeon.

Emergency rooms can't reverse the effects. His on-call dr told me to wait it out and call on Monday. I can't handle this.

It was dexomethosone so 4 days of being in my system. Is it awful I'm contemplating suing this DR.?

I can't be around anyone right now. I am considering emergency psych care for the weekend.

Thanks for the support.

Last edited:
I will not be going back to this doctor. I will be moving on to Dr. #5. I think I need to consider moving to an area that isn't so rural so I have better options.

I have found that taking activated charcoal has reduced most of the effects. My vision is still really blurry at times and I keep getting a fever for short periods of time but emotions have leveled out. Getting ready for my third dose of activated charcoal today. Also, I'm considering going with a tea and coconut oil and just stopping all meds until I can find a Dr. I can trust.

I will not be going back to this doctor. I will be moving on to Dr. #5. I think I need to consider moving to an area that isn't so rural so I have better options.

I have found that taking activated charcoal has reduced most of the effects. My vision is still really blurry at times and I keep getting a fever for short periods of time but emotions have leveled out. Getting ready for my third dose of activated charcoal today. Also, I'm considering going with a tea and coconut oil and just stopping all meds until I can find a Dr. I can trust.
Stopping all medications could make the disease worse. Go for a second opinion but stay on the medicine.

Really sorry to hear that you've been put in this situation. I hope things continue to improve in the coming days.
I was in hospital numerous times last year and each time they started me on steroids. This did help me somewhat but then I suddenly became severely depressed. I was suppose to wean down the dose over the many weeks but kept having the go back to hospital and the dose went back up. In reality I was at full dose or near enough for many months and then I hit rock bottom.
I believe they call it steroid mania. The dr gave me some lorazepam to help me through the weeks before an antidepressant kicked in. It is the worse feeling ever and I sympathise with you. But please remember that you won't always feel this way. You will feel better someday soon.

I went and saw a new Dr. and he seems to be quite concerned about stopping all medications. I explained how angry and uncontrollable my mood swings were and told him it was quite scary. I have also done some research and there are some people that experience this as a very rare side effect. So I feel better than I'm not losing my mind but at the same time, I'm not sure the new Dr. is convinced of this.

Entyvio -- not sure I spelled that right is the medication the new Dr. is considering. I am having a horrible time with Crohn's right now and have a follow up in three weeks to determine if this drug will be started. In general, I am pleased with life but it does feel like Crohn's is taking over my whole life and I feel like my quality of life is garbage. I wake up just to "get through" another day so at this point, I will focus on self-care and wait patiently until the new Dr. tells me what the plan is.

Thank you all so much for the continued support. I'm not sure I could do this without all of you. I really enjoy reading the posts from others and sharing my experiences.

I'm so sorry Katiesue. Some mainstream doc's just think our sensitivities to meds, foods etc. is all bunk. We know our bodies and they don't live in our skin. I pray you get through this bad reaction and start feeling better soon. Take care, positive thoughts sent your way!

Hi Katiesue, hope you get to feeling much better very soon. I understand what you are describing, I had horrific side effects to pred, budosanoid (sp), and i.v steroids. It took sometime to get this charted and even now I get an eye roll, a nurse had said they know better then I do, so it can become an argument with being treated crappy as a result at times. I also had to actually tell them no nsaids which I thought they charted more then once, however after an op they gave a dose in my i.v and I suffered a horrible flare. So each time you might have to give a reminder still, and if in e.r be sure to speak up. This is also important during pre op.
I think this is a reason I say medication diary, just like some say a food diary. To chart ones meds, good, bad effects, weight, test results (that's right not just how you doin) etc... It can help when we discuss 'how things are going' with the Dr. I notice the symptoms, side effects can occasionally be minimized. If i complain about a headache as a side effect, it is far from mild, more like can't get off the floor and bursting, blinding pain, lasting for days. But listed as 'headache' which should read debilitating headaches.
It can be such a fine line, trying to be vocal, kind, to heard, noted and respected without being labeled 'difficult' similar to Elaine in Seinfeld lol.

Hang n there,
Be well, God Bless