• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So exhausted

so exhausted

Hi everyone,

I haven't been on Humira for long (only had my 1st two doses so far--the first loading dose of 4 shots, the second loading dose of 2 shots). I am still feeling crappy (pardon the pun) and just soooooo exhausted. My abdomen is in constant low grade pain most of the time and after meals I get acute "stabbing" pain for about an hour or so. I also have very tender and painful lymph nodes in the groin area.

I guess what I would like y'all's support/advice on is taking a short break from graduate school. I know it isn't ideal, and I usually wouldn't even think about taking a break, but I have been missing 4-5 days a month, which may not sound like much but that is like 1 day a week. Even though I have been feeling bad all the time, on those days I just couldn't get myself out of the house. I was just too tired and my diarrhea was out of control.

I have been told that I could take a 1-2 month break and then come back to finish my studies. Since I've completed my courses, right now my studies consist of coming in to the lab every day and working on a research project. It can be very stressful with long experiments and if I'm in the middle of bench work it is hard to just run to the bathroom.

My question is, do you think a 1-2 month break could help me get my flare under control or is it a waste of time?

I appreciate your honest answers and advice. I have been pretty depressed, suddenly realizing I have no control over my body and many days I just don't have the energy to do the things I really need to. It makes me self-conscious since before Crohn's I was always an extremely hard-worker and work ethic was something I prided myself on. Now I feel like I'm lazy but I just can't muster the energy to do even the minimum required.

:depressed:

Thanks

Hmmm, that's a hard one. However if you can safely take a break without it mucking things up with your studies then why not? Get some rest and do some real taking care of yourself - it may help :)

Thanks Shaz and Pirate. I am going to consider it, but wondering has anyone on the forum ever taken a short leave and improved their symptoms? I would like to get this flare under control but wondering if rest will even help; seems flares and remissions are very unpredictable but my body is just crying for sleep right now. Feels like I can never get enough rest... I'm totally wiped out at the end of the day.

Does anyone have experience taking a break during a bad flare up? :confused2:

I don't really except that I HAD to take off work when I went into hospital. However, rest can only be a good thing and maybe you can use that time to really take care of yourself, focus on your diet, exercise etc and gneerally get more well?

I agree with Shaz and Pirate rest is the best medicine especially if you say it can be long hours in the lab and probably putting stress on yourself while trying to tell with crohns and getting better. At least if you took a break you could re-charge the batteries get everything under control not have to stress bout lab work just do nothing much for a while it probably will do wonders for your health. It is hard as this disease is so unpredictable I find Im well one minute and bad the next. I took 3 weeks off when really sick last year while being diagnosed and one week was just to rest it def felt good not to have to make an effort to get out of bed if I really just didn't feel like it. Im sure you will make the right decision that suits you.

Hey ,I just wanted to chime in, I agree with everyone else that it might be a good idea to rest up and get yourself through this flare. I know it's hard to have to put life on hold - I am going through the same stage as you right now (starting Humira), and I've had to postpone other opportunities in the past. But, if you are determined you will reach your goals eventually anyways. Your health is most important and you want to be healthy enough for school/life in the future.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I have to work 12 hrs today and just don't know how I'm going to make it when I get exhausted after just 4 hrs and can barely hold my head up. :(

I am going to make an appt to talk to my graduate school mentor to talk about taking a month off. From what I have heard from other students, it isn't a big deal, you just pick up where you left off since I've already taken the required classes.

I would have never considered taking time off from school before, but I just have to be honest with myself... even if I come in to the lab I'm not getting much done b/c I'm afraid to start long experiments when I am feeling so bad and my health is very unpredictable.

I am so thankful for you guys--you really understand what this disease is like and how irritating it can be.

Hey UAB grad-student...

Not sure how it works for grad students, but I would also make sure with them that time off won't effect your health insurance...

I've never taken time off (unless you count three weeks of missed classes when I was in the hospital!) but that is mostly because resting at home doesn't make me feel better, usually. It just makes me feel listless and lazy. But that is a very personal feeling...and I think that rest does help others. :)

Thanks Erin, that is definitely one of my concerns, so I'll ask the graduate program director when I meet with him. From what I understand, I can keep my insurance as long as I pay for it, but I've got to make double-sure since I don't want to get caught without coverage.

Yowza - yep - I'd say if you are 100% sure (as in get it in *writing* - very important) that you can keep your health insurance and you will not suffer any long term consequences from taking a month or two (two may be better if you can do it) break and really give your body a rest and time to let this new medication work - I'd do it in a heartbeat. Part of the process most of us have to go through when we are first diagnosed is to stop functioning like typical people do in our current society - go go go. It isn't good for normal people and it is pretty bad for us. Our bodies, especially in flare, can not handle that amount of stress all the time. I hope you are able to take a break buddy - and I *really* hope the Humira kicks in and starts quieting things down for you.

Humira still isn't working. Graduate program director is out of town so can't make any headway on getting short term medical leave... :-(

I just feel like a failure and I know I'm not very functional. If it weren't enough that the Crohn's is making me feel awful, now I have the flu. I swear, Humira hasn't helped yet but the side effects of low immune system seem to already be bothering me.

Augh! Sorry, I feel so useless right now...:depressed:

:sorry: I'm sending a great big ol' bear hug your way! You are NOT a failure-you are brave and way tougher than me to go school with Crohn's!

Oh thank you Mountain Gem! I needed that hug so much right now... tears are just streaming down my face right now. Worst thing I have found out about having the flu with Crohn's is the COUGHING. :-( Every time I cough I have gut pain, so right now I'm a mess!

Mountaingem said:
I have a cold right now and a flare-up so everytime I sneeze I shart! :ytongue: I'm not allowed on the couch...
Sorry to laugh but your comment rings so true! I guess we are in the same boat...:ylol2: