• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So I'm pretty sure a Lialda overdose stopped my heart on Monday

I think it was via seizure, which I've had before when overdosed on other meds.

My GI has repeatedly told me over two decades that Lialda is basically a topical analgesic and is barely absorbed by the body. Well, that may be true but I found and later he also found some rare documented cases of heart failure and seizure in the presence of mesalamine overdose (and possibly other unaccounted for factors, to be fair).

So, my heart stopped 6 times on Monday I think, although nurses only witnessed 2 of them and only one was captured on EKG (I was on an EKG for more but they weren't saved, hooray ER!)

Now they don't want me to drive, tried VERY hard to convince me to get a pacemaker (no thanks, I know that the drug reaction is rare but I'm convinced that's what it was, I took over 7 grams of mesalamine in about 7 hours (not on purpose)), and want me to go on Depakote because they think a seizure preceded/precipitated the cardiac arrest(s). Also: no thanks.

I know that some people take 4.8 grams of mesalamine (lialda) a day, but 7 grams in 7 hours and a history of seizures when overdosed has me convinced that was the problem. I did a dumb thing, now have to convince the docs. :p

So I went into the hospital Monday, got out Thursday, and I've been more or less housebound since.

A couple days ago I was terrified. Now I'm mostly annoyed and depressed.

Also, I need to change my avatar, it's out of date and makes me look fat and dopey.

I... think that's it.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear that muppet. :( I'm glad that you're out of the hospital and doing better. Will you be seeing a cardiologist and neurologist for further testing to make sure everything is ok? Keep us posted on how you're doing. :ghug:

I've got to follow up with a neurologist next month and I've got to schedule with the cardiologist as they didn't give me an appointment at discharge for that one. I meant to call Friday but things have been a bit surreal.

I'm wearing a loop monitor out of a sense of due diligence. My hospital team felt it was the absolute minimum, but seriously, I don't think they could have said anything else other than "Pacemaker, Depakote" in their positions.