• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So Itchy

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
My tum is so itchy.

There are the staples, and they shaved my stomach.
The hair is just starting to grow back and it is so very itchy.
I'm considering just continuing to shave my stomach just to make it stop.

My tum is itchy too, but more because my incision has become a giant scab. Can you take Benadryl (and would it help)? I asked for Benadryl when I was in the hospital and that ended up being a bad idea because I don't tolerate it well. But some people can.

Hope you feel better.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
It's the hair growing back, benadryl will do nothing as it is an external problem.

I envy you and your lack of chest hair (at least I assume that you have no chest hair)

Meh. They shaved my pubic hair. That was/is pretty itchy growing back. And way less publicly acceptable to scratch. XD I keep making circles about an inch outside of my incision.

^^^ Better to keep the wound dry, I think. Talcom powder of the medicated, non-perfumed variety? Itchiness and the 'plucked chicken' look - not nice :ylol:

Meh. They shaved my pubic hair. That was/is pretty itchy growing back. And way less publicly acceptable to scratch. XD I keep making circles about an inch outside of my incision.
:rof: OMG I spit soda out of my nose when I read this-"way less publicly acceptable to scratch" I had a flashback of my hysterectomy!

I used Gold Bond Extra Strength powder (comes a the green bottle) for this hair regrowth itching-they also make lotion in case you're worried about accidentally getting powder in the incision. It's the only stuff that works-also great for all these annoying Crohn's-related rashes I'm so prone to as well.

Terriernut

Scratch away boys and girls!!! :rof: the key is to raise your legs under the sheets all tent like. then scratch. If you're in hospital of course. Otherwise..erm.

Jason, keep shaving, really. For now anyway. You could consider waxing....David Beckham does it!!

Prior to my surgery for ovarian cyst many years ago, I'd been living in Turkey and loved going to the Turkish baths. Used to get my legs 'sugared' and the ladies working in the baths were always itching ( pun intended ) to dehair everything else as well.
Thought I'd done well to avoid it until, on the evening before surgery, a nurse walked into my room armed with a razor, talcom powder and what I imagined was quite an evil smile!!

Terriernut

Back in the day, noble ladies and virgins were 'plucked' before their wedding night.

Jason, I'm not suggesting anything, really. :rof:

:rof: OMG I totally know that evil look!! My nurse didn't even ask if I wanted my extended family to leave before she tried to get started...luckily my sis in law's a nurse and she spotted the "evil look" too and shooed everyone out of the room just in the knick of time...thank God I was enjoying my pre-op meds!:ybiggrin:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The itching from the hair growth has stopped. The staples aren't so bad, the nurse removed the ones in my belly button because they weren't situated properly, and half of them were actually sitting in the incision. Although I need to start shaving around the stoma, but first find out if I own a razor, as I've not exactly shaved in a few years.

Misty - I don't plan on shaving anything but the area around the stoma, although shaving certain areas will make other areas appear larger.

Jeanette - To avoid a broken heart I am going to believe that you are single and that the sister in law mentioned is a sibling's wife as opposed to a spouse's sister.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I assume that was for your recent surgery, why did they do that!?

Dusty. xxx

I assume that was for your recent surgery, why did they do that!?

Dusty. xxx
Wish I knew!

My best guess was so they wouldn't tear it out with the tape. But I don't think the tape went down that far.

I also had the unpleasant discovery of some VERY irritated skin under my right breast. It was in a line (at first I thought I was having an allergic reaction) so they told me it is probably just where some tape was. I don't pretend to understand. :p

Terriernut

Well, you're too young to have the boobs in the way of abdominal surgery! I figure thats why they tape em up. (i mean some of the elderly patients you can certainly understand..ahem) Only thing I can think is they taped the abdominal wall to keep it open on you. (and i'm assuming it was both boobs)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Wish I knew!

My best guess was so they wouldn't tear it out with the tape. But I don't think the tape went down that far.

I also had the unpleasant discovery of some VERY irritated skin under my right breast. It was in a line (at first I thought I was having an allergic reaction) so they told me it is probably just where some tape was. I don't pretend to understand. :p
Hmmm...not sure about the tape but I thought shaving for a procedure like that went out with the ark! :eek2:

Dusty. xxx

Well, you're too young to have the boobs in the way of abdominal surgery! I figure thats why they tape em up. (i mean some of the elderly patients you can certainly understand..ahem) Only thing I can think is they taped the abdominal wall to keep it open on you. (and i'm assuming it was both boobs)
Haha. The irritation was only under the right one, but maybe they taped the left and it didn't bother it? I was not conscious at the time, so I can't vouch for 'em. I figured there was something they needed to tape down or out of the way or something. Strange. My tits are pretty small in general so even when I'm old I'm not sure they'll be "in the way" of abdominal surgery.

Terriernut

Hmmm, the mystery deepens. Perhaps one of your boobs was feeling particularly frisky??

They taped my butt cheeks open!!! :ywow: Apparently even while out cold, my clenching muscles worked just fine! (I can hear my ass talking back in the operating theatre now...get ya'lls g*d damn fingers AWAY...grrrrrrrrr) Got a hell of a rash from it. Which proceeded to get infected.

Hmmm, the mystery deepens. Perhaps one of your boobs was feeling particularly frisky??
:rof:

They taped my butt cheeks open!!! :ywow: Apparently even while out cold, my clenching muscles worked just fine! (I can hear my ass talking back in the operating theatre now...get ya'lls g*d damn fingers AWAY...grrrrrrrrr) Got a hell of a rash from it. Which proceeded to get infected.
That's awful! Stupid tape.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Oh my gosh! I'm dying from laughter!!! I need to read this thread when I need a good laugh. I'm not laughing at your itchy pains of course. The comments! LOL!:rof:

Terriernut

We aim to please!!! :cool:

Actually, I'm still learning to aim...Look out world when i can aim that bag.

I'm thinking seriously though, after hearing from other folks I was in hospital with that the tape they use in theatre is sure causing alot of folks trouble! Perhaps they should consider using powder under it!

ameslouise

Just popping on for a brief moment and this is the thread I chose to check in on. HILARITY!!!

Thanks for making my day, I needed a good laugh!

Love and happy scratching to all!! xo - Ames