• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So much for remission....

Well, damn it to heck! Here I thought I was going to be aok at least for a little while - had high hopes of a year or 2 or 5 without the suffering since I had emergency resection surgery in March and the docs said everything that was left looked super. So why then, am I flaring - multiple trips to the pot, pain, even nausea and vomiting?!? I am eating right, staying low residue, lactose free, low gluten etc etc....in fact, I am lucky to hit 1000 cals a day! (a bowl of soup feels like a 5 course meal in fact). It sucks cause when I venture out I have to know where bathrooms are etc etc and oddly, this was not my problem before surgey - my only pre op problem was pain and some days with D but not everyday like this!

My only thought it could be stress related alhtough I am pretty stress free 'cept for a pending surgey my mom has to have - open heart. And I am talking to folks about that.

My only drug is pentasa (for maintanance - 3g daily) - tapered pred off all the way about 4 weeks ago. Some effects still there for that mut my GI said it could take 6-12 months for all to go as I was on for a long time at high dose)...

Anyway, totally frustrated -

Seeing my GI in about a month or so. Wonder what he'll say. *sigh*this thing is way too unpredicatble for my liking.

Sorry to rant...one of those days :ymad:

I

Isla

When my sister had to go in for brain surgery for a brain tumor the stress of it caused me to flare. Even though you are talking to people about the situation of your mother doesn't mean that it isn't effecting you. I didn't think my sister's situation was either. But it is quite clear, in hindsight, that it is / was effecting me.

Also remember you have less bowel for food to go through - my concern though according to your symptoms is obstruction. It first presents as pain, diarrhea, a lot of gas, nausea, and vomiting - late findings are no bowel sounds, and severe pain. I would get you to the doctor to figure this out. Maybe you picked up a stomach bug and maybe its a flare, or maybe it is scarring or adhesions causing an obstruction.

Oh man I wish your sister good luck on her surgery. I hope you start feeling better as well. I could very well be the stress but if it continues then I think you should try tom move your appointment up a bit. Good luck

Thanks! I had the stomach flu just about 2 months ago and it isn't at all like that - i know it's a flare again and probably some type of inflammation already - sucky, wonder if they missed a piece after all. I went into surgery in pretty rough shape to say the least. They saw a fistula, the balloon and of course a comlopete obstruction (bowwel was bent at 180 degrees) but in the surgery they only found the bowel thing - the 5 day stabaliztion helped reduce the balloon and they didn't find the fistula. Weird. But I went with it, of course, and worked on surgery recovery (10 inch scar) instead of chron's recovery type of thing, although kept mindful of diet.

Trying to combat the stressors too best I can. My mom stood by me through and through all Winter as hubby was overseas in Afghanistan so now it's my turn.

My wonder is if it also could be related to my increase in exercise (not by much - just doing some physiotherapy stuff, about 15 mins every 2 days) for 2 car accidents 15 and 3 years ago.

Or could it be related to indeed the shorter bowel and my body adjusting. I read today that losing a section can actually increase the D - hadn't heard that before.

Also wondering if the area with the internal staples ( I have titanium in my bowel) could be still healing. The doc said 3-6 months, more likely 6-12 for me given prednisone and well, I can still see the internal stitches in my ab muscle - pokey little buggers. So perhaps the bowel is still healing.

I don't know - it's all guesses. Next *flare* with pain I will likely move up the appt though as the pain is very different from anything else I have experienced with any illness. So I know what it is. Certainly if accompanied by V I will head in - that was the sign for the obstruction before - and I don't wosh that on anyone (especially me again ... lol)