• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So... should I be worried about the blood?

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
A few weeks ago when I looked into the toilet it was full of orangey/red blood. Then when I saw the doctor a few days later and told her of the blood, she looked up my bum (offered to stick a finger in there too) and confirmed I had been bleeding.

Then she dropped she subject and told me I had IBS. When I tried asking about the blood, she didn't say anything because my MRI scan was clear (blood happened after the scan.)

I thought i'd the actual experts. Should I be worried about the blood and why could I have bleed that one time? I don't really know much about the blood in stools and the causes. Never had it before and I haven't had it since but it's playing on mind and I can't think of any reason for the blood that specific time. I've had really dark, almost black stools recently though.

If it only happened one time, chances are it was from hemorrhoids. Had you been straining or had pain before the blood showed up? Since it only happened once, I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but do keep notes so you can present all of your symptoms and what was happening around the time of each pain or incident to better help your doctor diagnose you.

annawato

Staff member
Bright coloured blood indicates bleeding from a point near the anus so probably hemaroids but dark coloured blood indicates bleeding from further up the GI tract. I also suggest keeping notes and maybe having a stool test as first port of call. Good luck and dont worry too much yet.

doctors dont seem to care too much when i tell them i been bleeding out the ass. dunno why. even if they stick a finger up my butt and confirm. if all the other tests come out fine, xray & blood work then they assume the bleeding will fix its self.

i been bleeding for two years, and was losing iron, so they just gave me iron. and iron and iron. and now mysteriously the bleeding has slowed/stopped.

A caution on immediately saying dark stools are due to bleeding. I get the same thing from eating chocolate. I bled through my bowels for 3 years, and most of it was occult (not visible). Blood work for hemoglobin levels and iron would be a good idea, and if you get another good bleed, make your doctor have a more thorough look.

annawato

Staff member
I think iron can make your stools look very dark too, and i've had red stools from beetroot!