• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So the Doctors suggested more fibre...

Hey, I've been diagnosed with Crohn's disease for about two years now, but it would explain some bloody bowel movements I had when I was a kid years before that.

At first I was just a bit gassy and my guts would make some crazy noises, I was at college in this time so went it got to the point the 60ft classroom all turned to stare at the grumbling beast that was my colon I decided to go to the doctors, really nothing at this point, just a small ignore-able stomach ache, and some funny noises.

They thought I was constipated, so they suggested I eat more fibre (AWWGH!) and gave me some orange powdered mix to drink called Fybogel ((AAAARRWGH!))

So after changing my cereal to basically rabbit food and having that and a glass of the Fybogel for breakfast, that's all I could stomach for the day.

This went on for some time, it got to the point I couldn't bare to swallow anything. But somehow I managed to go to work and college, luckily they were really understanding about all of it in the end.

Eventually I was throwing up so much I tore something in my stomach or throat and threw up some blood, along with whatever else was in my stomach and passed out on the bathroom floor at college.

Rest of it's pretty boring, I sit in hospital after someone came and gave me a kick to wake up and they decide maybe it's crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis and since all the fibre has been basically killing me, they guessed Crohn's and gave me steroids to hopefully bring me back from being a ghoul.

Now I'm better, my symptoms have never gone away but with the 150mg Azathioprine, 2G Mesalazine, and Metoclopramide to keep the nausea at bay I ended up putting on around 3 stone in the last year from that picture. They don't want me on cortical steroids for whatever reason, despite them being the best thing I have ever had, liver damage or no, I'd rather live symptom free, guess they don't see it like that.

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community :)

Would you be willing to share specifically what your current symptoms are? And have they ever done an endoscopy?

All my best to you.

Hi there and welcome to the community :)

Would you be willing to share specifically what your current symptoms are? And have they ever done an endoscopy?

All my best to you.
Hey thanks for the welcome,

My average day's symptoms are mostly just bloating and a bit of discomfort, nothing I can't ignore though. Compared to some horror stories I've heard I seem to have it easy.

I've had a three endoscopys, one was a foul up since the prep chemical whatever it is got changed and for whatever reason didn't do its job, first one made them think Ulcerative Collitis, they had a meeting of some description since all the other test results suggested Crohns despite the endoscopy (I think the meeting was to assign who made the wrong decision, was wasn't told any more about this meeting other than it took place), so they did another and took some biopsies and settled on Crohns.

David

Co-Founder
With that bloating, has anyone ever mentioned Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth to you? You can click that link to read up on it if you so desire.

I'm new here but was just reading everything I can and saw this. My daughter has Celiac Crohn's intestinal dismotility, hashimotos, moyamoya, Down syndrome, and a history of strokes. She is on an antibiotic right now for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. She has a lot of uncomfortable bloating, She tells me her belly is BIG ( you can actually see it is larger and bloated sometimes)very forceful burps and pain in her bottom. Something to think about...
Mary

With that bloating, has anyone ever mentioned Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth to you? You can click that link to read up on it if you so desire.
Yeah that's never been mentioned to me yet basically is spot on to what I am experiencing, thanks for that, that's gonna be something to bring up with the doctors, since at my worse you could basically see the individual loops of my intestine pokeing into my abdomen, which from what I've read isn't something to be expected in crohns disease.

I'm new here but was just reading everything I can and saw this. My daughter has Celiac Crohn's intestinal dismotility, hashimotos, moyamoya, Down syndrome, and a history of strokes. She is on an antibiotic right now for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. She has a lot of uncomfortable bloating, She tells me her belly is BIG ( you can actually see it is larger and bloated sometimes)very forceful burps and pain in her bottom. Something to think about...
Mary
Yeah I get alot of gas, I seem to be able to expel with some odd burp I have gotten used to performing (Hard to explain...)

Thanks guys, really helpful.