• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

So tired of being tired!!!

I am so tired of being tired!! I know that fatigue is a symptom of crohn's but why? What is the reason or cause? I have had many blood tests from doctor visits to being admitted to the hospital (for crohn's, in general) and no one has ever said that I'm anemic, or anything like that. It makes me think I'm crazy...I have such low energy and can sleep just about anytime of the day. I want to be motivated to do things and enjoy life but it's so hard when I'm exhausted everyday...are there certain medications and/or treatments that would help me?

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hello there,

While I don't know the details of your situation, almost all of us here can relate to the fatigue issue and I can offer this as input which I have learned through first-hand experience.....

When you get sick, your body has to use as much energy as possible to fight illness be it for a cold, flu or injury. That being said, when you are dealing with inflammation brought on by crohn's, your body is using up a ton of energy to fight off inflammation, which leaves you feeling zapped most of the time. The stress, depression and pain from it all doesn't help the situation. It wears you down mentally and physically.

Also, sometimes having crohn's leaves us with no choice but to spend as much time on our sofa or in our bed as possible (if not the bathroom :p ). It's only natural that we may become a bit lazy after a flare hits lol. Once we are able to get around more comfortably, our bodies aren't used to it because we have been considerably idle for so long. We need to re-train ourselves to the idea of getting out and about but also allow our bodies time to rest when it is needed because pushing yourself too hard too soon doesn't do you any good and may potentially re-trigger a flare if you are not careful.

Iron and B12 deficiency are common causes of fatigue because when the part of your digestive system that absorbs these vitamins is inflamed, damaged or removed via surgery, you will develop signs of fatigue in addition to more potentially life-threatening complications. Getting your B12 levels checked is just as important as getting your Iron levels checked as B12 deficiency anemia shows most of the same symptoms almost identical to Iron deficiency anemia.

And once you are out of a flare, sometimes our bodies do not go back to what they used to be. They may become hypersensitive to physical discomforts especially in the abdominal area and/or they will become tired more easily.
Those are just a few examples of fatigue.

A few things to consider when trying to improve your energy levels are your diet and mental/physical well being.

A high-protein diet fuels your body with energy. Clean eating diet with little "junk" food in general helps to relieve your body of unwanted and unnecessary additives and preservatives that can drag you down both mentally and physically. Slowly increasing your physical activity can help you combat fatigue down the road. If you are well enough, how about you try going on 15 - 30min walks per day to get your body into the habit of a physical routine. You will find it easier to do as time goes on and will be able to eventually push your energy levels further.

Do your best to take care of your mental health as well. Reduce your stress levels in healthy ways. For example, I like to meditate when I am stressed. I take baths to relax my body. I try to make any amount of physical activity a routine in my every day life be it walking or aerobics or jumping in place or whatever. Exercise increases the feel-good sensors in your body. I spend time reading or working on craft projects or watching funny shows to help distract my mind, or making time to be in the company of others even when i sometimes don't feel like it. Things like this help to keep me slightly more refreshed than if I were to keep myself idle. Even if you don't have people around you to support you,, surrounding yourself with other good influences in the form of activities that interest you can help you to combat some of the negative thoughts that come from having crohn's.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

CrohnsChicago-

Thank you so much for your reply! You are very thorough! I actually did have a flair up a few weeks ago and have had such a difficult time not only phycially but (as you mentioned) mentally as well. Not to say that I usually feel exhausted all of the time, flair or no flair. But it's just worse then ever lately. I will keep in mind everything you said in hopes of feeling better...Thanks again! I appreciate your input!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rosie. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. It is so rough to feel the way you do and my heart goes out to you :(

CrohnsChicago had a great reply. I'm curious what medication you're currently on? Also, as CrohnsChicago mentioned, B12 deficiency is VERY common in people with Crohns, EASY to check and fix, and is one of the most common causes of exhaustion in people with Crohns. Have you had your level tested? If so, when, and what was the level?

All my best to you.

Hi David, Thanks so much for your reply!

I have been tested on so many things -I don't know if "my level" has been or not but I will find out at my next appt.

Currently, I am taking pentasa, entocort, and nexium for crohns. my other meds are lisinopril, paxil. Strangely enough I also (sometimes) take ambien to help me sleep.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rosie,

With everything you describe, my guess is that the pentasa and entocort don't have you in remission. When you have your appointment next, I would request that they not only retest your levels discussed above, but do various tests to evaluate your current disease state to see if a change or addition of medication may be warranted.

I completely understand what your going through. I am constantly worn down. I try hard to push myself. The most frustrating part is people treat me poorly and seem to not believe me that I can be so tired all the time. They tend to call me lazy ect, but in reality I'm am tired. Exspecially since my last flare up due to my second pregnancy. On top of it the baby is taking even more of my energy its amazing I'm able to do what I do as is. I barely sleep due to tending to my one year old daughter. I found I was less tired not taking medication so I have not been taking any. I took it only to get rid of my flare up. It actually makes me sicker than not taking it. Truthfully I dont even bother telling people anymore that its due to my crohns they say it's an excuse. Makes me so mentally strained that people are so not understanding of my condition. I appear fine on the outside, but I am not fine. I am phsically and emotionally strained.

I hope you better soon. It is so hard to feel extremly tired and keep up with life in general. I too, often think about giving up the meds on my own as I have done in the past. But my doctor has explained to me the long term risks of doing that (...just something to think about).