• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)

So yesterday I did something I do not regularly do - I visited the main adult forum section... Wow... Great questions, great information, a bit overwhelming for me (not sure my bubble can handle that much...)

One thing that I was surprised to see is so many adults on SSDI and/or Disability Retirement.

Has any of the parents here applied for SSDI for their kids (in the USA) and if so what has your experience been to date?

Thanks.

That is what I have read as well. My ex SIL had a son with severe seizure disorder that definitely qualified(if he had been an adult) but since he was a child it went on her income and he only qualified after his Mom was laid off from her job, if I am remembering correctly.

I only have experience with SSDI due my involvement with the Deaf Community - and for them not only are children almost automatically given SSDI benefits, if they are hearing children and they have a parent who is Deaf then they qualify for SSDI also...

I attended Gallaudet University (it is the only Liberal Arts College in the world for individuals who are Deaf and/or hard of hearing) and the majority of the students there received SSDI ($600-$800/monthly)...

So I wonder if it *depends* (there is that ugly word...) on what is the nature of the disability.

Thanks MLP!

Here is a tidbit for SSI in my state

Children can get SSI if they meet Social Security’s definition of disability for children and if they have little or no income and resources. We also consider the family’s household income, resources and other personal information.

source