• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Social Security Disability

Hi all,

I live in the United States and have already gone down to working 24 hrs a week due to fatigue issues. I am a Physical Therapist Assistant, and have a fairly physical job. I guess my question is, has anyone went on Social Security Disability either fully or partially? How did they go about it? How do you know when it is time? I just need some input.

Kit:emot-sax:

I also live in the US as well. I just went online and filed for SSI. Although, it took months to hear anything back from them and then to get the horrible news... I was denied. I have since starting working as daycare teacher. Your job is way more demanding, I'm sure of that. I would suggest finding some info online, on how to apply in your area. It's alot of paperwork to go through...and don't be discouraged if you are denied the first time. I have heard many stories where it takes 2 or 3 times filling to get approved.

Good Luck! Hope I was some help. :)

My husband used to practice in this area. Unless you meet a statutory definition for disability or you are over the age of 50, you will most likely be denied at first. There are several stages for appeal, and if you ultimately prevail you get back benefits for the time since you first applied. The problem is that it can take a year or more to get approved, and all that time, you aren't working. I'd get recommendations for attorneys in your area, and talk to one. They all will give you a free consultation (and you don't have to sign with them for it). A good attorney will go over the process, explain the denials and appeals, and will tell you what your chances are at each stage. Then you can decide if you want to apply, and if so, on your own or with an attorney.

Good luck.

Linda thanks for the help. I am not sure if I am going to need it, but I want to be prepared. I am getting close to the age of 50, I am 47 now. EW thanks for the info as well. I heard that you normally get denied the first time and it takes a lot of work to do.

Kit

I am 48 and on SSD since March 2011. Had pretty mild Crohn’s for about 15 years until I developed anal fistula. 2 surgeries later - failed plug and fistulatomy, cutting seton, drain seton, 2 c diff's, lost 40 lbs, post fistulatomy wound did not heal correct and left me with “keyhole deformity" in my anus. I started with short term disability from work that rolled to long term disability. Disability Company made me apply for SSD and assisted with paper work. All your docs have to be on board and actually state that you are unable to work - can't sit or stand, pain, etc. Make sure to describe your worst day when filling out disability paperwork!