• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Social smoker and want to stop

Hello,

I have been in remission for some years. Recently started smoking 1 or a max of 2 packs per week. Light cigarettes. Most of the times as light as 0.1 mg nicotine and sometimes normal light. I have been doing this for aprox 6 months.
Honestly I just feel stupid now because I know it is bad.

I am afraid I have done irreversible damage. I think I am fine as I don't feel any pain and I can still eat/drink everything. But I am getting super paranoid.

Have I caused severe damage by doing this? Am I going to flare soon?

Any help/advice for this super paranoid person would be appreciated.

It is different for everyone...when I quit I had to go cold turkey. Having one here and there or tapering off doesn't work for me. I found it helpful to replace the smoking with something else. For example instead of a cigarette I would have a small candy in its place. The habit of it was hardest for me. Like you I did not smoke a lot. I'm not going to lie, I still (nearly 15 years later) think a cigarette sounds good from time to time. But, I always go back to "I do not want to smell like smoke" and "they are sooo expensive" and "I don't want to have to try to quit again."
I agree consulting with your doctors is wise. I had quit before I had Crohns so I do not know how that changes things.

Bufford

You could try using electronic cigarettes. No smoke, it delivers nicotine without the toxins that come with combustion. Many smokers use these to reduce their exposure to smoke and to taper.

Bufford

Quiting was a process for me. I smoked for most of my life, and I continued to smoke for a few years after diagnosis. However, as the cancer risk rose I started thinking more and more about it. Smoking started to appeal less to me until I one day asked myself are these things worth it? I simply stopped and never looked back. I did once have try, but it didn't taste all that great, and the thought of it not being worth it was the final nail into my smoking career. That has been about 15 years without a smoke now.