• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Some symptoms, is this a flare?

Hi everyone ,

Just recently I have been experiencing diarrhoea. It only happens once a day, first thing in the morning (the cramps sometimes even wake me up) I have some pain at night time and have difficulty getting comfy in bed because of this. I have been taking some painkillers (only mild) I also have mouth ulcers at the moment and feel quite tired. I don't know if I'm in a flare or not ? Normally when I am , I'm going the toilet much more frequently. So I am quite confused as I am only going once per day, But that once that I am going I have bad cramps, and it is very watery. I also have bad wind & am bloated too. My appetite is also poor at the moment.
This has been going for about a month now.

What do you all think ?

Thanks

Jo :)

I think I'll call tomorrow , Always feel like I'm being a pain when I call them but I really don't want it to get any worse, Thank you :)

SarahBear

Hi, Joleen. :)

Being woken up by pain or urgency would usually indicate a flare. Based on that alone, I'd say flare.

Did they schedule you an appointment? Please keep us updated!

:hug:

Hi Sarah,

I have just had a phone call off 1 of the resident's who work with my consultant. She has asked me to start a short course of Pred, She is also posting me out a form too get a C-Diff test done. I've had C-Diff twice before and as far as I can remember the symptoms where pretty bad , This doesn't seem that bad but my work have told me not to come in till I have the all clear (I work in healthcare so it's not safe for me to be around patients if it could be C-Diff)
She said if it is a flare , maybe we need to consider a medication change again as it hasn't been too long since my last flare. Finding it all a bit stressful at the moment :(

SarahBear

:hug:

Better safe than sorry in regards to the C-Diff testing! Does it take long to get the results on that?

How long have you been on the medications you're currently taking?

I should get the form in the post tomorrow , so hopefully I would say by the beginning of next week. I've been on the Methotrexate for about 18mths now , It's been working ok for me , Just recently the last 5-6 month (not constantly) I've been having some symptoms but compared to how I was in 2011 when I was at my worst , this is really quite good, I just don't want to deteriorate to that extent again.

Some have luck with saccharomyces boulardii for C Diff as well as maintaining remission in Crohn's.
I take Jarrow brand every day (bought on Amazon), but Florastor may be easier to find locally (though it costs a lot more). I've tried to switch to some cheaper or alternate probiotic a few times, but I always get sick a week after stopping s bouldardii. I didn't realize it the first couple of times because of the delayed effect.