• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Son has UC, on Remicade, concerned about cold and flu season

Hello,
First post of course, I'm actually posting on behalf of my 17 y.o. son who was diagnosed last year with U.C., and has been in a flare for just about all of that time.
We've gone through mesalamine drugs, immunomodulators, and now Methotrexate and Remicade (and Aprizo per Dr.'s instructs). So far this latest protocol seems to be helping, but we've only done one Remicade infusion and two Methotrexate shots so far. He is finally off of prednizone for the time being, anyway.
At any rate, my concern is this: My wife and I both seem to be fighting a cold or some kind of sickness with sore throat, headache, drainage, etc. and Todd II (my son) says he's not feeling well today.
Any things to look out for during cold/flu season when the immunities are down due to drugs like Methotrexate and Remicade? Anything we can do to help strengthen the immunities without compromising the drugs?
Thanks so much, glad to be a part of this community!
Todd

my little penguin

Staff member
The best thing we have done is:
Lots of hand washing with soap and a flu shot
Plus plenty of rest.
DS has been on biologics or immunosuppressants for almost three years .
He was 8 when he started remicade and is now 10.
So no adverse side effects from being around sniffling coughing elementary school kids for the third and fourth grade.

Parents section has a lot of help.

The best thing we have done is:
Lots of hand washing with soap and a flu shot
Plus plenty of rest.
DS has been on biologics or immunosuppressants for almost three years .
He was 8 when he started remicade and is now 10.
So no adverse side effects from being around sniffling coughing elementary school kids for the third and fourth grade.

Parents section has a lot of help.
OK that is great to hear! Thanks very much.