• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Son with Stricture and Partial Bowel Obstruction

My son was just diagnosed in October with Crohns and was sent via ambulance last week to Childrens - Milwaukee due to a partial bowel obstruction related to a stricture on the terminal ileum. He stayed for almost a week but it cleared. While he was having diarrhea 5x a day prior to the obstruction, since being in the hospital he is constipated. He’s only gone twice (and just a little) in a week. We also have him a low fiber diet, 35 mg of prednisone, and he just got his second dose of Inflectra. I need diet advice to help with constipation and bloating for his situation please. Thank you!

my little penguin

Staff member
Since he has a stricture your Gi should have prescribed a diet for him .
Constipation please talk to the Gi as well
My child prefers miralax daily to keep things moving
But he does not have any strictures so your child’s Gi may want something different

Since he has a stricture your Gi should have prescribed a diet for him .
Constipation please talk to the Gi as well
My child prefers miralax daily to keep things moving
But he does not have any strictures so your child’s Gi may want something different
Thank you! They did prescribe Miralax daily so we are starting that. We are doing low fiber but just wondering if there are better foods on a low fiber diet to help. I made a list of the healthier things but I’m worried he will end up with another bowel obstruction or issue from the constipation.

my little penguin

Staff member
Miralax takes up to three days to work
We get the packets since they are premeasured
Then we know he is getting the full 17 g a day .
Healthier stuff tends to have more fiber
I would stick to what the Gi suggested for a while until you can discuss it with the Gi
Boring low fiber stuff is fine for as long as he needs it .

miralax if taken daily works very well for my kiddo
He has been on it daily for 11 years
He was dx at age 7 and now is 18

Miralax takes up to three days to work
We get the packets since they are premeasured
Then we know he is getting the full 17 g a day .
Healthier stuff tends to have more fiber
I would stick to what the Gi suggested for a while until you can discuss it with the Gi
Boring low fiber stuff is fine for as long as he needs it .

miralax if taken daily works very well for my kiddo
He has been on it daily for 11 years
He was dx at age 7 and now is 18
Thank you-have you found any helpful and not helpful foods not on the many lists I’ve read or other helpful advice not related to diet? I’m reading yoga may help, and I’d like him to do some weight resistant exercises.

May be worth getting a normal doctor (what we would call a general practitioner here in the UK) just to feel his tummy and check not getting another obstruction. I would ask GI about IBD-AID which in phase 1 is all smooth/ mush textures but I am basing that on being an adult i don’t know if the diet meets the needs of a growing child- maybe worth asking

May be worth getting a normal doctor (what we would call a general practitioner here in the UK) just to feel his tummy and check not getting another obstruction. I would ask GI about IBD-AID which in phase 1 is all smooth/ mush textures but I am basing that on being an adult i don’t know if the diet meets the needs of a growing child- maybe worth asking
Thank you-we are being pretty safe with softer foods. Seeing a general practitioner locally is a good idea too.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has Crohn's but also has Gastroparesis, which is delayed gastric emptying - a motility disorder (so her stomach does not empty normally - food just sits in there for hours). Foods with fiber are harder to digest, so she was on a low fiber diet for a long time. She had a lot of soup for veggies (spinach, tomato etc) and smoothies are a good option if he likes fruit (but check with your GI first!). Considering he has a stricture, I would definitely follow the advice of your GI, even if it seems like he's eating "unhealthy" foods - for example, my daughter had to stay away from whole grain/whole wheat bread for a while and had white bread instead. She was also told to avoid nuts, seeds and popcorn and foods that were high in fat. Bland, soft foods like pasta, rice, potatoes were easier for her to digest.

Miralax does take 3 days to work. Some kids need more than just one capful - 17 g. I would definitely keep your GI updated - if he hasn't had any proper BMs in a week, they may want to put him on something stronger. My daughter used Milk of Magnesia if Miralax didn't work.

Movement is good for constipation - even going for a walk is good! Whatever your son feels up to doing.

Inflectra should reduce inflammation, but it can take a while. I think it took 4 infusions and a dose increase before my daughter felt a whole lot better. Hang in there!

My daughter has Crohn's but also has Gastroparesis, which is delayed gastric emptying - a motility disorder (so her stomach does not empty normally - food just sits in there for hours). Foods with fiber are harder to digest, so she was on a low fiber diet for a long time. She had a lot of soup for veggies (spinach, tomato etc) and smoothies are a good option if he likes fruit (but check with your GI first!). Considering he has a stricture, I would definitely follow the advice of your GI, even if it seems like he's eating "unhealthy" foods - for example, my daughter had to stay away from whole grain/whole wheat bread for a while and had white bread instead. She was also told to avoid nuts, seeds and popcorn and foods that were high in fat. Bland, soft foods like pasta, rice, potatoes were easier for her to digest.

Miralax does take 3 days to work. Some kids need more than just one capful - 17 g. I would definitely keep your GI updated - if he hasn't had any proper BMs in a week, they may want to put him on something stronger. My daughter used Milk of Magnesia if Miralax didn't work.

Movement is good for constipation - even going for a walk is good! Whatever your son feels up to doing.

Inflectra should reduce inflammation, but it can take a while. I think it took 4 infusions and a dose increase before my daughter felt a whole lot better. Hang in there!
This is really helpful-thank you so much!
This is really helpful. Thank you so much!

I was inquiring because you mentioned weight resistance exercises. I usually think of someone who is in their teens at least to start exercises like. I would wait until he is feeling healthy enough to start anything.

Last edited:
We aren’t doing anything right now except play exercise and walking, biking. We have light weights (3, 5 pounds) when he is up for it.