• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Soon to be starting cimzia

Yay! I will soon be starting cimzia and it can't come soon enough after months of suffering with really bad joint pain. My GI wouldn't prescribe it but saw the rheumatologist this morning and he has ok'd it so just need to get checked for TB then I can be trained how to use the syringe.. oh and I should be able to reduce my methotrexate and eventually come off completely.
I also had a steroid injection today so that should help whilst I am waiting for the cimzia. I feel much more positive knowing what is going to happen instead of feeling there is no end in sight.
If anyone has any advice or insight into what it's like being on cimzia I would be greatfull.
Thanks x

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the Cimzia club. I really hope this will be the answer to your IBD and persistent joint pain. I know you have been suffering a lot. I'm curious though how you can get it in the UK? I was under the impression it's not approved there for Crohn's. Are they giving it to you for arthritis and using it off label for your Crohn's?

Yeah that's what they are doing its all been down to the rheumatologist the GI didn't know what to do medication wise as I have been through everything for crohn's. I can't wait to get started

nogutsnoglory

Cimzia has cleared out a lot of my inflammation so I'm enthusiastic about it. I'm still sick but it appears to be helping. When do you get to start?

I haven't got a date yet they are sorting out my appointments and I should get a phone call quite soon to confirm. The consultant I saw today seemed very keen to get it started as soon as possible.
Glad to hear its helping you so far and hopefully it will continue to get better. I would be happy if my condition improved just a small amount so I am able to be more mobile :)

Thought I would post a quick update. I will be having my first lot of injections tomorrow afternoon as long as it all goes to plan. I am feeling a bit nervous about using the syringe but I am just going to go for it. I really want this to work and to be the last medication I have to try.

nogutsnoglory

The first time a nurse will show you. It's really not that bad at all. Think of it as a pinch to get rid of your Crohn's and arthritis pains. I hope this will be a success!!

Thank you! I'm sure I will be fine just the closer it gets the more I have been thinking about it. I managed fine when on humira but I had the pen, seeing the needle makes it more real.

nogutsnoglory

I found the Humira pens much more painful because you have no control over the release and you stab it in. With the syringe I can take my time and let it go in as fast as I feel comfortable with.

Well after another appointment being messed up and being sent to the wrong clinic I didn't have the injection today. I have has enough of this everytime I go in there it is never straight forward I am made promises and they don't keep them. I am doing everything possible to get this sorted but I am being let down all the time. I have got a a prescription for steroids but they said I will have to wait maybe 2 days I phoned them up and spoke to them calmly but firmly to try and get this sped up but I am not holding my breath with the amount of issues I have had recently. They said phone tomorrow with my luck at the minute I will phone tomorrow and they will say it never existed. Ahhhhhhhhhh my head is pounding from stress. Sorry about the rant.

nogutsnoglory

Do they have the Cimzia or do you? You can possibly arrange for a home nurse to come and show you how to inject it. With Humira I had a home nurse and after that just self injected.