• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sorbitol, Xylitol, Mannitol

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share this bit of info as it has helped me tremendously. A bit of back story. I have Crohn's and am a former smoker. I had been using nicotine gum and vaping instead of smoking for the past 10 years. Within the last two years I went fully to nicotine gum. Recently, past month or so I decided to try quitting nicotine gum all together as the main sweetener in it is a sugar alcohol Sorbitol. Well, since quitting the gum a lot of my symptoms (pains, cramping, weird narrow stools) have disappeared. I have read that these artificial sweeteners go through the body undigested and therefore are left to colonic bacteria to feed on. I don’t know if there are certain strains of bacteria that feed on these more or not, but I figured I would mention this as maybe it can help someone else.

Long story short, these sweeteners are in everything and I would recommend people with IBD stay away from them!