• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore armpit on Humira and fistula concerns

I'm an adult male in my 30's with crohn's disease diagnosed 20 years ago. I have recently been struggling with a flare and have been taking humira with progress but not totally out of this flare yet.

I am a little concerned about soreness in my armpits but I have gone to my GP and had blood work to rule out lymphoma. It's not raised or obvious it's just a little sore. My GP said the lymph node that was most sore was still spongy and told me he thinks its infection oriented. Could this armpit soreness be an extra-intestinal manifestation of my crohn's flare?

I saw my Gastro recently and he took a look at my armpits and said to treat it like an infection and continue taking Humira after the antibiotics are done. I plan to follow doctors orders but I am having some anxiety about all these weird symptoms. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also think I had symptoms of a fistula near my groin when my flare started. I've never had a fistula before but I think I had a tiny bit of puss draining around the groin area before my humira treatment began. Is this a normal location for a fistula to form or am I incorrect that it was a fistula? This symptom appears to have gone away with the Humira treatment so that's good. Also my Gastro did a colonoscopy while this symptom was present.

My Gastro is new for me since this flare began and I just wish there was a little more explanation in why this stuff is happening. The fun never ends with Crohn's.

I am not sure for other people but my fistulas have been in the rectal/anal areas. You mentioned antibiotics. I don't know if you are on probiotics but if so you might want to ask your doctor about doubling the probiotic while on the antibiotic. The forum has a section on External Intestinal Manifestations. You might want to post over there also.

Thanks for the fast reply Ron.

I am taking probiotics with my antibiotics as well. I am taking culturelle and florastor. I also started the specific carbohydrate diet so I am making my own yogurt with acidophilus.

I did not check out the Extra Intestinal Manifestations section so thank you for the suggestion. I just went to that section and found a different possible cause. It sounds like my symptoms could possibly be hidradenitis suppurativa. This could explain both of the symptoms I posted about. I'll have to ask my GI about it in our next meeting.