• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore buttocks

Hello everyone,.
Greenie here. Was wondering if anyone has something that would help with chaffing from going to the bathroom too often?

my little penguin

Staff member
Calmoseptine
Is a barrier cream
No prescription needed
Most pharmacies keep it behind the counter just ask for it
Target (cvs pharmacy) has it

We're using Desitin. My daughter's skin is still bright red and painful from pooping too much
We understand and feel so bad for your daughter. I hope the Desitin is helping. My husband is running to the bathroom all day and all night.

We understand and feel so bad for your daughter. I hope the Desitin is helping. My husband is running to the bathroom all day and all night.
I've done multiple messages and calls to GI about her flare since Friday, and I still have nothing but an over counter Desitin to treat her with. I sent an escalated message this morning - they don't give a damn. The last message from them yesterday was, "So she doesn't currently get steroids, right?" Like it was not clear in my messaging or like they cannot see that it's not on the list of the currently prescribed meds, nor that they ever prescribed it as an outpatient before.

I've done multiple messages and calls to GI about her flare since Friday, and I still have nothing but an over counter Desitin to treat her with. I sent an escalated message this morning - they don't give a damn. The last message from them yesterday was, "So she doesn't currently get steroids, right?" Like it was not clear in my messaging or like they cannot see that it's not on the list of the currently prescribed meds, nor that they ever prescribed it as an outpatient before.
I hear your frustration. Is your daughter on any medication?

I hear your frustration. Is your daughter on any medication?
Erythromycin for a month now and it was not causing diarrheas. Plus, the 3rd Infliximab infusion was done last week at high dosage with a very high drug concentration of 38 and no antibodies from the lab done before the infusion. The calpro kept raising to after the 2nd infusion. they didn't want to do a repeat calpro for the recent flare,

my little penguin

Staff member
@Magnet
Calmoseptine does not require a prescription
The pharmacy just keeps it behind the counter
Works wonders for a sore bottom

ees (erythromycin) granules doses for delayed gastric emptying typically do not cause diarrhea

formula only (een ) she is on should help but she may need a semi elemental or elemental formula
When inpatient did the diarrhea stop when they put her npo ?
I know for my kiddo he was on peptamen jr (semi elemental) as een and still had horrible diarrhea
Npo diarrhea stopped
Switched to neocate jr for a few weeks as een
Then was able to add food

if she uses a g tube or ng tube switching to elemental is easy and may slow down the diarrhea

Doc can write the script to the medical supply place

good luck

@Magnet
Calmoseptine does not require a prescription
The pharmacy just keeps it behind the counter
Works wonders for a sore bottom

ees (erythromycin) granules doses for delayed gastric emptying typically do not cause diarrhea

formula only (een ) she is on should help but she may need a semi elemental or elemental formula
When inpatient did the diarrhea stop when they put her npo ?
I know for my kiddo he was on peptamen jr (semi elemental) as een and still had horrible diarrhea
Npo diarrhea stopped
Switched to neocate jr for a few weeks as een
Then was able to add food

if she uses a g tube or ng tube switching to elemental is easy and may slow down the diarrhea

Doc can write the script to the medical supply place

good luck
I got steroids Rx for my kiddo today. There was vomiting prior to the 1st dose. but I gave Zofran and she got the 1st dose of steroids. And I'm AMAZED with BM immediately subsiding. Only one diarrhea in 10 hours.

She never had NPO order in the hospital. She stopped eating by mouth all by herself. Everyone wanted to eat her by mouth anything: any liquids or any solids. GI were actually pushing that if she resumes eating by mouth or via tube, things would go better for her bowel. We tried TPN. She tolerated it well but it didn't cure her flare.

I don't know how much you can expect from EEN even elemental if a child like her who has been on strict EEN even polumeric one for many years still developed a very active IBD with a very acute onset.

I'm going to tell you this- before steroids were given, she had diarrhea even with TPN. She shows improvements with steroids. I don't see it for Infliximab.

The best way to address the skin issue around private parts for when one has a diarrhea is to get less diarrhea. Zink creams minimize skin damage but I don't know if anyone was able to completely avoid it with any cream