• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore on tongue and mouth? New to me!!

Ok so I have had a sore tongue (or sore on my tongue) come and go now for a couple of weeks. Also in my mouth. Would the tongue sore be considered Crohn's related?

Could very well be. Cankers are part of it. Anything from your lips to your anus can be involved with this lovely condition.
I don't normally get cankers, I will get fever blisters though.
Michele

ameslouise

Hi Mary - I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you are doing!

I used to get tons of canker sores. TONS! This was right before my dx and I didn't realize at the time that they were Crohn's related. They can be super painful! There's lots of OTC remedies out there to deal with the pain.

- Amy

I have a few canker sores crop up now and then on my tongue and in the far back of my throat. I agree with taking a B vitamin to help with the healing. I've also been recommended to use an alcohol-free mouthwash to gargle with. I use this on a daily basis and I have experienced fewer canker sores with quicker healing times.

It's common with people that are on antibiotics for longer than usual. It's also common for colitis/crohns patients to be on antibiotics ;-)

I would say it's probably crohn's related. My doc told me sores or the weird white stuff on your tongue is a sign of indigestion problems, *yay for crohn's*.

I remember when I was having a super bad flare I got DOZENS...yes, dozens, of canker sores. I went to the doc and she looked in my mouth and said (and I quote): "Oh...my...god...oh...my...god". I also get geographic tongue with my crohn's. You can get med paste from the drug store without a presciption to help (mine was cause orabase or something) and try an antiseptic mouthwash to help future cankers from popping up.