• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore, stiff neck - side effect of Cimzia?

Does anyone know if a sore, stiff neck is a side effect of Cimzia? I've developed one over the last few days. It's not listed under the side effects, but could be considered joint pain, which is listed. I sometimes have a headache, too. No fever. Not horrible, but annoying.

David

Co-Founder
How frustrating :( Hopefully others will be along to share experiences soon.

Are you able to touch your chin to your chest or are you too stiff?

I hope you feel better soon!

I have a stiff neck and shoulders. I take cimizia and I can't touch my chin. I was wondering if its a possible reaction to the medication. Let me know if you find out. Hopefully we both are wrong with our thoughts of relationship with cimizia. Hope your doing better.

David

Co-Founder
Stephi,

While it's possible that is a reaction to the medication, I'd definitely have your doctor check you out or at least see what they think. There are certain disease that you are a bit more prone to while on biologics of which a stiff neck where you can't touch your chest with your chin is a symptom.

I have had Crohn's disease for over 30 years. I currently am on Cimzia injections and have been doing fine with Crohn's disease problems, but I do ache continually. I've been to a rheumatologist and he did x-rays and says I have arthritis in my hands. I feel like I have it everywhere. I hurt all the time and nothing seems to make it feel better. I only take fish oil supplement, vitamin D 5000 mg. daily (because my endocrinologist is treating me for possible hyperparathroidismn), B complex vitamin and actonel. I have been taking injections for approx. 2 years now and have had he aches since then. I've told physician but feel it is just being ignored since it isn't life threatening hopefully. It makes me question this medication because I have felt so bad for so long. I feel older than my actual age. I also have numbness in my arms and hands at night which I never experienced until I started on this medication. I tried Humira, but had horrible side effects on it. Suggestions?

David

Co-Founder
pwind, two things:

1. Have you had your vitamin B12 level tested? If so, when and what was it specifically? B12 deficiency is common in people with Crohn's and can cause some of the issues you mention.

2. I'd discuss the idea of supplementing magnesium with your doctor. People with Crohn's disease are commonly deficient in magnesium which can lead to joint, bone, and/or muscle pain. The problem is, the serum magnesium test is bad because it can be normal while body stores are negative. It's the only supplement I suggest doing blindly (under the care of a doctor of course) due to this.

Obviously there could be a whole host of other possible causes of your issues. But those two are very common in people with Crohn's so why not rule them out? And if it is the problem, it's an easy fix and can make an enormous difference in your quality of life.

Crohn's Mom

Hi Pwind,

I agree with everything David said.
I am also wondering tho if you have had your iron levels tested recently ?

Getting new blood work done this week. Have requested they include the B12 and magnesium tests along with Vitamin D levels and additional blood work. I almost hope they find something in the blood work that will put a finger on what's going on. I see an ARNP most of the time for 6 month visits and never get to see the actual Gastro unless it's for a procedure. Sometimes I wonder if they are as aware of things I've told the ARNP that he may see as a problem. Really frustrated with the kind of experience with this particular medical group, but not any other in town I would go to instead.

B12 level and magnesium levels tested fine. Went to doctor because I had fallen in December and was put on muscle relaxer for pain in flank. I feel much better this a.m. in all my joints and muscles. The Cimzia does cause muscle pain as one of the side effects. It just may be a side effect I just have to live with although it doesn't give much quality of life if you are hurting all the time.

Spooky1

I always had joint issues, since teenage even. My neck is excruciating. It clicks and cracks and crunches all the time. I think my bones have suffered so badly since the menopause! Am awaiting results from dietician so we can start over from that. I am not on cimzia though. Our local hospital never have provided that for crohns, only RA. i did ask my gastro bloke if i could try it, but of course he said no. so hoping vitamin supplements, which i have been advised to stop until results are in, will help my joints.