• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Soreness below bellybutton?

Does anyone ever get sore below the belly button along with a feeling of being swollen in that area but still eat and excrete OK. At times when I bend over to tie my shoes and press on this area the pain increases quite a lot. After two weeks of this discomfort, including pain in my testicular area, my doc ordered ex-rays which showed no blockages or perforations in the small intestine. I am wondering if this is what a flareup of Crohn's may entail?
It all makes me nervous that I may end up in the hospital again. Maybe it will pass and all will be well?
Thanks,
Whit

valleysangel92

Staff member
This sounds like the type of pain I've had when I've been admitted before, my pain is always lower than my belly button, normally to the right but it does go into the middle at times .. the lack of a blockage doesn't mean there's no flare up .. my gastro has explained to me that commonly by the time they do a scan/Xray the musles have forced any food or stool through, therefore stopping it showing on xrays, don't be afraid to keep going back to your doctor and asking for help if the pain isn't getting better, I've been hospitalized 5 times since last November because of doctors not listening so put pressure on them if you have to .. good luck :)

valleysangel92

Staff member
Also, the pain may be caused by food or stool rubbing against a scarred or currently inflammed area and therefore aggtivating it

Do you have a high volume of gas at the same time? It is something that I experience when I have similar symptoms, and if I can get the gas to move (exercise, manipulation) I get some relief from it.

Thanks to you both. I hadn't thought about why the scarring in the small intestine might get irritated so thanks and yes I have had a high volume of gas with my stomach feeling distended and uncomfortable. Mild excercise might be good.
Whit