• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sores in mouth

sores in mouth

Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for ulcers in the mouth. My daughter is 8 and she just got off pregnizone for the 3rd time this year and I don't want to put her on it again and thats what the doc is suggesting for her mouth ulcers. I could use an alternative method if anyone has one!!

Silvermoon

Hey gfu!

Prednisone is one of the treatments for mouth ulcers for sure. If I get them I usually just use an orajel or some other over the counter teething gelll... but I find mine don't last very long....

I found a thread (it is actually a poll...) that has a few suggestions in it... I hope maybe one or two might work for your daughter...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3191&highlight=mouth

Hopefully someone else can add to the suggestions. :)

Astra

I don't know about Pred for mouth ulcers, only that Pred and Entocort have caused my mouth ulcers and sore tongue!! fact!!
I had never had them before the steroids!

thank you...actually i was wondering if the steriod had something to do with it as she never had them before she was on so much of it this past year. Also i did use the link and i will try some of the suggestions.

ameslouise

I had a bout of doozies a couple weeks ago. One was on the tip of my tongue and so painful I had to take a percocet!!!

I got a product called Super Lysine gel at the natural food store. Doesn't make the pain go away, but it does speed up the recovery time. For the pain I use Orajel or Ambesol.

I have ready about L-Lysine supplment being helpful in reducing canker sores and mouth ulcers, but I don't know if that applies to sores caused by an autoimmune reaction like Crohn's.

I hope your daughter gets some relief soon!

- Amy

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey gfu, EJ also gets sores on his tongue. I wouldn't call them ulcers though. More like pus filled blisters. They are more of an annoyance than anything.

You were talking about how tough she is in your story and it reminded me of one of EJ's appts. We had just learned the day before that he has a progressive liver disease as well as crohn's so we had zero sleep the night before. My wife was so sick that she was going to reschedule but I decided to take him. It was a consult with a nutritionist, a GI and several others. It was called a crohn's workshop. Needless to say, crohn's was the last thing on my mind that day. When the GI came in, I just lost it. I'd managed to fight off the tears all that time 'cause I didn't want to cry in front of EJ and alarm him but I couldn't stop myself.

EJ looked up at me with the biggest grin you've ever seen and said "Daddy, are you crying?". I choked out that I was sorry. EJ just said, "but Daddy I feel good", and the GI said he understood etc., then the GI stood up walked over to EJ, shook his hand and said "I can see who the tough man is in this family!". EJ smiled the rest of the day. He hasn't been scared yet and he knows what's coming.

Yeah, they're a whole lot tougher than we are!!