• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sorry, have to ask a gross question...worried.

Sorry but here goes... I just went to the bathroom and passed the most yellow stool literally ever. It looks like I swallowed a highlighter mixed with sunflower petals. Like...really bright yellow (for real). I've never had this happen before. What's it mean? I don't think it can be a good sign but I can't ask anyone but my Crohnies here. I have no experience with this symptom. Help please :confused2: Thanks guys.

I don't really have an answer as to why it happens, but I can tell you that I have had this happen to me a lot. It's usually when I haven't eaten much that day. It is very weird being bright yellow though!

Terriernut

First time I had lucozade this happened to me! But if it's not vitamins, or medications, it very possibly is your gall bladder acting up. If it's just once, ok, if it continues...off to the Dr!!

Thanks for the responses guys.
Amanda I know what you mean I think. When that happens to me its usually like an orange shade which doesn't alarm me. But this was straight yellow! The thing is that it was sorta formed, sorta unformed, but mine are always like that. I haven't had any difference in eating or vitamins...I think I'll have to ask my doctor :/

Hi Emily, Iv had this too, except very runny yellow bm. Mid last year I started a candida diet, got extremely sick not taking meds for crohns, and the yellow turned to green. My GI said things were passing through way to fast, and it's because of my liver. And I wasn't really eating at all, but just eating very minimal amounts, I still get yellow bm sometimes. Hope it helps, best wishes :)

Terriernut

Yes, it can be rapid dumping. Where we literally dont have time to have 'bile' work. Therefore, it's a yellow colour. Liver problems can present in many different ways. Not necessary with yellow poo to begin with, usually with blood problems to start. Advanced liver disease can present with yellow poo. But by this time, usually the patient is aware there is a problem. (and then some)

Drugs we take, can cause serious liver problems, and quickly. Thats why we have our bloods taken on a regular basis. *my sig line about the epic fail on 6MP for instance, was liver failing to process the drug, but no yellow poos!*

Okay well it went from bright yellow that one day to being yellow-gold-orange shade for the past week or 2 which is less scary and more familiar to me, except now I just had this painful bm that was bright orange/practically red. :( My poop is scaring me. Sorry, just kinda venting here, also I may start needing to track my BMs.

braveheart

Passionate Dreamer
Hi Emily,

I've had Crohn for more than 20 years and I had this problem too. I don't know exactly why this happens, but I found in this forum this is something pretty common. I think this is relalated to bad-absorption of nutrients. There was a point in the time it happened to me every-day (yellow stools) and then I got a brown one twice in a year. So a regular stool was someting to celebrate :)

I had a resection surgery about a year ago and after that the yellow stools have gone.

Don't be affraid and welcome to the yellowish club.

rygon

My nurse-practitioner told me that I don't have enough of a particular enzyme, because of the Chron's inflammation. It comes and goes.

@rygon, thanks for the charts, I've been looking for something like that so I would know what "normal" is. :D