• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Soy Milk and Protein Powders

I read a lot about how soy milk and protein powders are good for us with IBD, as they provide vegtarian protein without the animal fat. But, I also read about some negative things on Soy !!!!

So what are your experiences with Soy products? Can you tolerate them? Are they any good?

Kev

Experiences? Very limited.. Recent company who use it left some soy milk behind. I tried it... didn't like it. It didn't taste like milk.. (unlike my lactose free milk). It didn't seem to bother me, but it wasn't a great quantity. One of the things I've noted in the soy based food products that I often use (veggie dogs, veggie burgers, veggie cheese, etc..) are that the sodium levels are really quite elevated.. off the charts!!!
now, of those products, the burgers are so/so, the hot dogs (based on brandname) are quite nice... the chedder cheese products taste fine as is, but dont' cook well. The soya based mozzerella I use for homemade pizzas is terrific, and the soya pepperoni is OK, but spoils extremely fast. That's the extent of my experience with these soya based products.. hope that it helped you a little, OK?

I do not avoid animal fat since it does not bother me unless I eat an extreme amount. I do not trust soy products unless they are fermented. There is conflicting information on it regarding whether it is good for you or not. Some claim that the unfermented soy contains substances that mimic the hormone estrogen. If that is the case you may be tinkering with hormonal balances unintentionally. Who knows how much it would take to actually have a marked effect?

The evidence is still unclear so I am going to avoid it until more is known. Especially since there are many sources of protein that are not suspect.

Dan Bergman

I used to drink chocolate soy milk, it was good. Now I don't because I'm trying to follow the SCD, which forbids stuff made with soy.

I also have heard some controversy over soy, though what I heard the people were taking soy supplements and already had lots of soy in their diet. From what I remember it caused them aggression problems.

i have found that i cant have too much milk, otherwise i get constipated but i cant stand soy milk.Im ok with having normal milk in tea

I have chocolate soy milk (Silk, the other kinds I tried were gross). I haven't had a problem with it, but after reading some things in here I might reconsider.

I tried soy cheese once, but I found it didn't melt very well. I much prefer the rice cheese. It doesn't have a very cheesy taste, but I never really liked cheese so that's fine with me! It melts really well I find.

M

Malcav

I avoid dairy so have soy milk on cerial in the mornings. it is lovely (bearing in mind i have not had milk in 5 years so dont remember what it taste like)
I think like most things with crohn's it really depends on you. test a little bit if it is ok go with it.