• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Spacey, Absentminded-Any thoughts on what Causes This?

Hi everyone, As many of you know I've been struggling with a bad c.diff infection for two months. I am off Vancomycin and feel much better.

The weird thing is I've become so absentminded and spacey, and a bit short-tempered. I've been this way on pred before but I am not on any other meds besides Remicade, Methotrexate and Pentasa. I also take Atenolol and Hydrochlorothiazide. I have been having night sweats and I also have been losing my hair. My face is breaking out and I'm holding weight in spite of being on Weight Watchers and having diarrhea 8 times a day for the past 6 weeks.

Seriously, it's really beginning to interfer with my life. I can't find my car when I park. I walk into rooms and forget why I went in there. I can't remember where I put things. Anyone else have these symptoms? Is it a vitamin deficiency? Have I just finally lost it lol?

David

Co-Founder
I wish I knew as I have been really bad myself. I used to be really sharp and quick witted. It is now common for me to have trouble finding the right words when I speak. My theories for what is causing it for me are:

Stress
Some B Vitamin Deficiency

If I was a crohnie rather than a lymphocytic colitisie (we really need a cooler name for this) I'd look at my medications as well as other potential vitamin/mineral deficiencies as a potential cause.

Am totally a space cadet myself!! I forgot 2 of the three meetings I had scheduled one week.

If I don't put things on the calender they don't happen!! I have started to make lists of the lists I have!!

This originally started when I got pregnant 17 years ago and has certainly gotten worse in the last two since I have been so sick. I wish I could remember more than I do and I am beyond frustrated. It can be a symptom of low thyroid as well(and I am on synthroid). So maybe check your thyroid levels.

That happened to me and then I found out I was severely deficient in B12. Deficiencies can cause confusion, fogginess, etc. Have you had your vitamin levels checked lately?

sawdust

That happened to me and then I found out I was severely deficient in B12. Deficiencies can cause confusion, fogginess, etc. Have you had your vitamin levels checked lately?
Definitely check your vitamin levels. The answer from ThanksP is right on for my experience as well. Also, my IBD, meds, deficiencies, or some combination thereof plays with depression in my experience, which can also give some abscent-minded fogginess kinds of things as well. You have not lost it. I feel this way from time to time. Don't let it scare you, but please tell your doctor about your symptoms and get things sorted right away, no matter the cause. :hug:

No, I haven't had them checked in a while. I used to get infusions of B-12 vitamins from an Osteopathic doctor, but he has since passed; my HMO now won't do much vitamin testing without a fight.

I can get the liquid sublingual kind-does anyone know a good dosage for this?

I was told 1000 mcg daily generally made up for poor absorption caused by removal of terminal ileum, and it seems to work well for me. Fatigue as mentioned certainly can cause fogginess, and anemia I found certainly can too.

You can take just about as much sublingual B12 as you want because your body will get rid of any excess. I do three droppers of sublingual a day and it seems to work well for me according to my last tests. I found the dissolving pills that you place under your tongue don't work as well.

David

Co-Founder
I was told 1000 mcg daily generally made up for poor absorption caused by removal of terminal ileum, and it seems to work well for me.
1000 mcg is likely nowhere enough for many people as only 1% of that will be absorbed outside the terminal ileum via diffusion according to current literature. For example, 1% of a 1000 mcg oral cobalamin tablet equals 10 mcg. For anyone deficient in B12 who has peripheral neuropathy or SACDSC (sub acute combined degeneration of the spinal cord) that is NOWHERE near enough to help repair the nerves and will likely result in serum levels below 300 (I personally think everyone should strive for at minimum 500). With levels below 300, many will still have elevated methylmalonic acid and homocysteine levels and therefore still be deficient.

In the end, people should get tested regularly to see how their current supplement regimen is working. If you're above 500 stick with what you're doing. If you're below 500, increase your dose or try other delivery methods. In addition, the University of Maryland Medical Center has recently stated that taking one form of B vitamin without the others can create imbalances. If you're taking B12, take a complex B vitamin as well.

You can take just about as much sublingual B12 as you want because your body will get rid of any excess. I do three droppers of sublingual a day and it seems to work well for me according to my last tests. I found the dissolving pills that you place under your tongue don't work as well.
How much does three droppers equal out to?

How much does three droppers equal out to?
Uhhhh, math and measurements are not my forte, so let me consult the label :) It's a B complex with B12. One dropper is equal to 1ml, which consists of 1.7mg of B2, 20mg of Niacin, 2mg of B6, and 1.2mg (or 1200mcg) of B12. So all that multiplied by three :ywow:. I think I got it all, dang those labels are in teeny tiny writing.

I really hate to say this but THANK GOD! I've been forgetting names, having word finding difficulties and entering a room and forgetting why myself lately. As my mother has Alzheimer's and my Aunt did also, I was really beginning to believe I had early onset. I do have an appointment with a neurologist because I just want to get it all checked out. My GP pointed out everything that is going on in my life (as we attend the same church and are on a few committees together she knows me pretty well) plus the Crohns factor and the malabsortion issues she tends to agree with you all.

I'm not poking fun at anyone here...I'm just relieved that I'm not alone. I love this forum! You all have yet again helped me through a panic attack.

Jeannette, if you're losing your mind then I am too. Perhaps our marbles are off frolicking together somewhere?! ;)

I really hate to say this but THANK GOD! I've been forgetting names, having word finding difficulties and entering a room and forgetting why myself lately. As my mother has Alzheimer's and my Aunt did also, I was really beginning to believe I had early onset. I do have an appointment with a neurologist because I just want to get it all checked out. My GP pointed out everything that is going on in my life (as we attend the same church and are on a few committees together she knows me pretty well) plus the Crohns factor and the malabsortion issues she tends to agree with you all.

I'm not poking fun at anyone here...I'm just relieved that I'm not alone. I love this forum! You all have yet again helped me through a panic attack.

Jeannette, if you're losing your mind then I am too. Perhaps our marbles are off frolicking together somewhere?! ;)
I was so bad at one point I got lost less than a mile from my house :eek2: . So now, a year or so later, I STILL make sure I have my GPS in my car in case I get lost. I might not be good at math, but I've NEVER gotten lost anywhere, not even in foreign countries. I'm like a walking compass LOL. So I knew something was jacked up when I didn't recognize the street I've driven on a hundred times. MADiMarc, you are NOT alone. :::insert creepy music:::