• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction

I have a friend with Crohn's Disease that I spoke to on the phone this evening. She said that her Gastroenterologist wants to test her for Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction. I had never heard of this nor had she, but I knew a good place to ask! Does anyone know what this is?

If I remember correctly it's the valve (sphincter) that allows bile from the gallbladder and pancreatic juice from the pancreas to flow into the small intestines. With the dysfunction it can be that the valve is not opening properly to allow the bile/juices to flow out.

Is your friend having right side flank pain? Have they tested any gallbladder function (HIDA scan) to see if that's the problem? Just wonder - my GI suspected Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction or a gallbladder issue- turned out to be the gallbladder. It was removed just over a year ago and it's made a huge difference.

There is sphincter of oddi dysfunction (sod) and biliary dyskinesia.

Biliary dyskinesia is where the gall bladder does not contract properly and a HIDA scan or gall bladder emptying uss can determine the % function.

SOD is classified into different subtypes depending on whether your liver enzymes or amylase are elevated. It is due to spasm of the valve at the end of the bile duct and you can have it even if your gallbladder is removed. The test for this is sphincter of oddi manometry which is like an ERCP. It does carry a real risk of acute pancreatitis though so it is only done if absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Hi I'm looking for anybody who has sphincter of oddi dysfunction as wife has just been diagnosed with this and is struggling with the pain any help will be very much appreciated

Stuart