• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Spironolactone side effects w/ active CD

So yesterday my endocrinologist escalated my Spironolactone dosage from 100mg daily to 200mg daily because my testosterone levels were too high. Ever since I've started the new dose I've had terrible generalized anxiety. Nothing is wrong so far as I can tell but my gut feeling that something awful is about to happen. Doesn't help that my Crohn's Disease has been active today and I have a toothache. :(

nogutsnoglory

So yesterday my endocrinologist escalated my Spironolactone dosage from 100mg daily to 200mg daily because my testosterone levels were too high. Ever since I've started the new dose I've had terrible generalized anxiety. Nothing is wrong so far as I can tell but my gut feeling that something awful is about to happen. Doesn't help that my Crohn's Disease has been active today and I have a toothache. :(

Sorry :/ why are you on that drug and what do they believe is causing the elevation for you? Sigh. It can never just be one health issue right? It's always a myriad of problems that so many of us deal with.

Trust me I hate anxiety, I basically live in a semi panic mode state. I'm anxious about everything and can rarely let go and just enjoy.

Sorry :/ why are you on that drug and what do they believe is causing the elevation for you? Sigh. It can never just be one health issue right? It's always a myriad of problems that so many of us deal with.

Trust me I hate anxiety, I basically live in a semi panic mode state. I'm anxious about everything and can rarely let go and just enjoy.
I'm a transwoman, so it's simply the fact I have testicles. :p On the bright side Spironolactone basically has no side effects in the context of being an antiandrogen! Thankfully the anxiety passed and I suddenly feel like two million nonconsecutive dollars! It's a bit like how I felt when I first started an antiandrogen except vastly less subtle. I used all the energy and good feeling to go on another body hair shaving rampage too, which helps a ton with body image.

nogutsnoglory

I'm glad the anxiety has subsided. I'm sure there is very little knowledge in terms of drugs used for gender transition and their interactions with IBD. We have a few posts about hormone replacement therapy and SRS surgery and crohn's but there is such a lack of info out there it's astounding. I hope anyone searching google will find some of the info on the forum helpful if they lurk.

Honestly, there are likely none, at least with Spironolactone/oral Estradiol. Neither drug is known for effecting the colon or terminal ileum, though Spironolactone is thought to increase chances of stomach bleeding. Still makes things worse because there's the constant question of just how much of the drugs I'm absorbing.

If for some reason you are having issues with absorption, is there the possibility of doing injections? I also feel a little extra pretty when I shave too :D Knowing I don't have all that hair makes me feel free, lol

There are lots of ways to take estrogen these days! You can inject it, put on patches or gels, get a subdermal implant, and even nasal delivery systems or if you're boring/insurance is paying for it you just take a pill. Spiro would be more of an issue. :p

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many options! I am supposed to be taking hormones for replacement since having a hysterectomy 3 years ago, mine were pill form, didn't realize there were other ways. I had to stop taking them because I couldn't afford them anymore so I let my body go in to complete menopause

What were you taking? If I had to pay for my monthly supply out of pocket (Oregon's public insurance program is amazing FYI) it would be like 40 USD. Given this is 1mg Estradiol.