• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Squatting Therapy for IBD?

OK, I have heard of most every theory regarding intestinal disease that is out there, but once in a while I hear of a new one. This was forwarded to me by someone on a different forum, and at first glance, it seems kind of iffy. But, the common link between undeveloped nations and the lack of IBD is there, and it would cost nothing to try, so what the heck.

Read it and see what you think.

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) includes Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis and irritable bowel syndrome. IBD affects approximately 2 million Americans and can have devastating consequences. 20 to 40% of ulcerative colitis patients eventually require surgery for removal of the colon, according to the University of Maryland Medicine website. Up to 70% of patients with Crohn's disease require surgery at some point in their disease course to remove parts of the intestine. IBD is confined to countries of the Western World, according to a study published in The Lancet.21 A 1997 article reported that "The last half of this century has seen a rising incidence of inflammatory bowel disease in developed countries," but notes "... the apparent absence of IBD in developing countries." [italics added]
For many years, researchers assumed that a different diet was protecting the developing world from IBD. "What else could it be?" They did not realize that these cultures have no uniform diet. For example, the Masai cattle-herders of central Africa are almost exclusively carnivorous. The Hindus of India are vegetarian. Other groups subsist on fish, or even on insects.
On testing their hypothesis, doctors were forced to conclude that "No special diet has been proven effective for preventing or treating this disease." (from the University of Chicago Hospitals website.)
Currently another theory has become popular among epidemiologists. They believe that fecal contamination of food and water in the developing world "naturally innoculates" children against inflammatory bowel disease. In other words, the Western World is too antiseptic to allow the immune system to produce the necessary antibodies.
This theory reflects a common misconception about the "superior hygiene" of the developed world. Westernized countries are proud of their high standards of cleanliness, but they are unaware that their internal cleanliness compares poorly with the rest of the world.
Colon hygiene depends on the effectiveness of daily elimination. Human beings were designed to perform their bodily functions in the squatting position. In order to be squeezed empty, the colon needs to be compressed by the thighs. Furthermore, the puborectalis muscle needs to be relaxed and the ileocecal valve from the small intestine needs to be closed. By ignoring these requirements, the sitting toilet makes it impossible to empty the colon completely.
Incomplete evacuation causes wastes to stagnate in the lower regions of the colon. In these areas, virulent bacteria can establish colonies, inflaming the surrounding tissues. Depending on where in the colon it occurs, and which strain of bacteria is involved, this inflammation is called by different names. Appendicitis, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn's Disease can all be considered as various forms of inflammatory bowel disease. (Ileitis will be discussed below.)
Therefore, what protects the developing world is not "squalid conditions" but just the opposite: the natural cleanliness that comes from evacuating as nature intended. The relevance of toilet posture is also confirmed by the historical evidence. Inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome emerged in the West toward the end of the 19th century, as the use of sitting toilets became more and more common.

Another form of Crohn's Disease is "ileitis" or inflammation of the small intestine. It results from fecal matter being forced backwards into the small intestine during evacuation. The ileocecal (IC) valve is designed to prevent this toxic "backflow" – but only in the squatting position. The IC valve needs to be supported by the right thigh in order to withstand the pressure built up during elimination. A more detailed explanation of this process can be found in two other sections: Contamination of the Small Intestine and Appendicitis.

Dan

ameslouise

That is a fascinating theory. Thanks for sharing it, Dan.

I often find my son on the toilet in squatting position, with his feet up on the toilet seat. I will no longer correct him and tell him to put his bottom on the seat instead of his feet!!

Both the French and the Japanese have squatting toilets. You'd expect the Crohn's incidence rates to be lower.

France is pretty much the same as the other western European countries. Not sure about Japan.

ameslouise

My little monkey is 9 years old and does suffer constipation from time to time. I guess he is just going on natural instinct with his squatting!

Silvermoon

Makes sense regarding total emptying. One of the things we were taught to do for infants (children under a year of age) if they appeared to be having gas/tummy pains is to lay them on their backs and bring their knees up to their chest a few times (I call it "pumping the legs"...lol)...

As to the lower incidence of IBD/IBS... concidering diet doesn't seem to be a factor, and that other countries have squatting toilets and still have IBD/IBS, for me, this adds to the "genetic" theory.... but that is just my line of thinking....

But I may have to try the "squatting" thing next time I am having cramping...see if it helps alleviate the symptoms a bit. :)

Astra

Hey we saw this a few months back, I think with that ring thing attached to a car!! ha ha yes, I'm gonna try it, to stop the flowback, at least! AND... it makes sense tho, we squat to give birth, in China they just squat in the paddy fields and just drop em! Fact!

This is really interesting and I am going to try it! God knows I have tried everything else, and it certainly couldn't hurt. So why not. In my opinion, crohn's is likely caused by several factors--diet, genetics, lack of squatting, etc. I can't imagine it is caused my any one thing. But if this helps, it is easy enough to do-and far less harmful than some of the meds we are/have taken. Thanks for sharing, Dan.

Astra

ha ha ha dya know what?
I tried that position (like the man in drawing) and went arse over tit, not a good look!

lol, if it was only that simple...

But the fact that France and Japan have nearly identical rates of Crohns as us shoots this theory straight into the gutter.

I'm still going to start doing it though, it does make tons of sense.

I tried this position today and I have to say, I think it does help move things along. It felt like the positioning allowed things to clear out easier. I think that if you have lower left sided crohn's/colitis (like I do), this may be a good position to use. That curve in your lower colon can be tricky in the sense that if you are inflamed there, having your poop have to navigate that curve hurts! I know that I have felt pain when my poop was navigating it. But if that squat straightens things out, it stands to reason it would be much less painful.

well thats gross. Squatting seems unsanitary. "Excuse me sir... it seems you've stepped in some mud" "Oh, no I just got out of the bathroom..."

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
My daughter was saying she read a documentary on the poor people squatting and it is better for eliminating...ok pooping lol. Problem is I have bad knees, I would need a lift to take me up and down ;)

seems interesting and worth a try. however, what about the other hundreds of millions of Westernized people without IBD? Also....how can anyone accurately say that there are very little to no people in undeveloped nations without IBD? In undeveloped nations, how many doctors are around? and how many people go to the doctor? I'd think that people in undeveloped countries wouldn't go to the doctor anyways about abdominal issues. depending on the country, most of these people are fighting just to stay alive and not starve/dehydrate from day to day, so they certainly aren't going to complain over abdominal problems. Just my opinion. Still definitely worth a try though

squatting ftw! I tried it today while lifting up the toilet seat and squatted on the rim LOL. Everything definitely came out a lot faster and smoother, and felt a lot better.

Last edited:

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I pooped for the very first time...

... in front of my husband.
We have been together for 25 years, and I never pooped in front of him before. We were in a hotel room, and he was in the shower when I HAD TO GO. There was no choice but to let it fly. He said he didn't even smell it. That is a true love lie, right there.

Anyways - back to the topic.
On vacation this week I ate nachos, a corn dog, loaded fries, a milkshake, and chicken nuggets. The next day we were scheduled to go to a water park, and I thought "I sure hope I am completely empty after eating all of that the day before." I squatted up on the toilet, and was TOTALLY empty the rest of the day! However, that sometimes happens anyways - so I can't be sure it was the squatting. AND - it is soooo splashy from that height, it's almost not worth it. PLUS - I ALMOST FELL!
I tried it again today, but it didn't work as well. I may have just gotten sick of holding that position. It's not really comfortable.
Good to think of you guys while on my vacay though =p

:yfaint: :roflanim:

...I can't believe you guys are actually trying it... :ylol2: I wondered about the splashing.

There is no way I could balance myself on the rim of a toilet, nor would it support my weight. I just lay myself down on my legs and put my hand between my right thigh and my Ilium area to support it.

I used to do this when I was a child, and it must have been because of constipation, but I do not really remember the reason.

It does seem to make it easier and faster to go, but whether it will help remains to be seen. I really have no way of knowing being I am not symptomatic. It can't hurt anything so I will continue with it and maybe it will have some long term benefit. Who knows?

Dan

Astra

...unless you're Joan.

LMFAO @ You Wendy!!!

But can't we just sit on the toilet ram rod straight? I tend to lean over with elbows on me knees, bored if it's a long jobbie!
how about a foot stool too! so your knees are right up to your chest?
Oh God! wot a subject!

I used to (and still do) lay my upper body on my thighs when I go, if I'm having a hard time going. I've always just found it the most comfortable way to go. I'm quite tall and lanky so sitting up straight is uncomfortable for me without back support, and without being able to reach my elbows to my thighs.

That's a good idea with the step stool idea too. I'll have to try that!

Hell yes to squatting!

My Crohns is currently quite active in my sigmoid colon, and I tried squatting recently and it was great. Anything to relieve the narrowing is a help!

I believe 100% what everyone has said on here!

With regard to squatting to defecate, the most comfortable position is to be at floor level, as native people in Africa, and the Tropics etc, do it. Perching on the rim sounds dangerous and uncomfortable, and not most conducive to relaxation! :eek:)

My grandfather worked abroad for many years in the Tropics as a mining engineer, and when he returned home on his retirement, apparently found it difficult to use a Western style toilet. So he used to keep a large low 'potty' in the bathroom, and used that
(as I was told by my grandmother), emptying it into the loo afterwards.

As to the lower incidence of IBD/IBS... concidering diet doesn't seem to be a factor, and that other countries have squatting toilets and still have IBD/IBS, for me, this adds to the "genetic" theory.... but that is just my line of thinking....
I would add another piece of information here. Many of the developing countries have adopted western practices - including the sitting toilet. The incidences of bowel distress in eastern nations is directly proportional to the number of persons who have forgone traditional squatting in favor of sitting. Of the segments of the population that still use the squatting method exclusively, they experience the fewest cases of bowel distress. While their 'civilized' city cousins fall prone to western illnesses.