• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Start remicade tomorrow for the first time.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice.
Also, is it okay to eat before? Would you suggest it?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi,
The nurse told me to drink lots of fluids. Eating and drinking during the infusion is fine.

I'm in the clinic for 2.5 hours.

I bring my iPod or a book. Usually I take a nap while listening to music.

Remicade has been s game changer for me.

Hope all goes well.

I second the fluids, preferably the day before too. That way your veins are nice and plump and easy to find. I don't usually eat before I go, but that's just me. Remicade has worked wonderfully well for me too. This spring was hard with catching a lot of colds, but cold season is pretty much over now. I usually have a nap during my infusion if nobody wants to chat. They have the tv on as well. I hope it works well for you.

No need to worry

You are okay to eat before the infusion. I personally try to eat before, as I get bloodwork done at the same time and my blood sugar levels drop when I am having blood taken.

You are also more than welcome to eat during the infusion. The clinic that I go to has snacks there for the patients. I usually have some ketchup chips, as many of the other snacks have gluten (which I cannot eat).

I agree with the people who posted before me when it comes to fluids. It's easier for the nurse to find the vein if you have had fluids the day before. It's better to stay hydrated.

Also, when you are there make sure to let them know if you get a headache or become nauseous. The pharmacist I spoke to told me that it makes no sense to sit there and suffer when the nurse could give you tylenol or slow down the infusion.

Overall I have had a very positive experience when going for Remicade. I hope it works for you!

Thank you all very much! I don't know why I'm so nervous about it, but I am. My doctor is having me do it an hour away even though there is an infusion center less than 5 minutes from my house because he wants me to be at a real hospital if I have a reaction which I think adds some stress, I tend to be a worrier anyways. Luckily my mom is going with me!

I will stay hydrated! I will probably just bring food just in case I start feeling like my blood sugar is getting low or something, I'm not much of a morning eater usually.

Are you supposed to get blood work? I don't have any orders for anything, I haven't heard from my doctors office since they told me I'm good to schedule after the hep B and Tb tests came back. I don't even think they know I'm going tomorrow.

My doctor gave me a blood requisition form in order to check my C Reactive Protein levels and so that he can make sure the imuran that I am also on does not cause any problems. If you don't have a requisition form you won't need to get bloodwork done.

The nurse at the clinic I go to has been giving people Remicade for 15 years or so. In that time, only one person had a serious reaction. Most people are fine (may become a little tired). Your doctor is just being cautious to make sure everything is okay. You can talk to your doctor about switching clinics to the closer one after your loading doses.

I know the nurses at the clinic send my doctor reports about how the Remicade is going. They tend to monitor your vitals (heart rate/temp/blood pressure) during the treatment to make sure you are okay. So if your doctor doesn't know you are going already then they will find out very soon. :)

I love remicade! it's been a great medication for me.. I used to have my treatments at an oncology center in a bigger town, now I get to do them in my small town hospital just down the street from my house.. I always just bring food with me haha. I watch tv, take a nap, read a book.. Remicade usually tires me out so it's hard to stay awake for the whole thing. I always have my remicade done on Fridays, that way I have the whole weekend to recover from being super tired. I also drink lots of fluids the week prior to my treatment, after 6 years of remicade my veins aren't exactly the greatest.

Alright, I'm getting checked in now, I have some snacks and music and a coloring book, I should be set!

Thank you guys!