• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Started milled flaxseed

I started mixing this in my husbands milkshakes. It makes them a little grainy, but Ive read a lot a flaxseed and its healing properties. Ive started using it my self. It shows up in hubby's BM though. Is that normal? Is it still helping him?

nogutsnoglory

Flaxseeds are full of healthy omega 3 fats but I prefer to use the oil myself. I would be afraid to aggravate my inflammation with anything grainy.

Yea I think Im going to go for the oil also. It seems that it would be more easily absorbed and easier in his shakes. Can you get it in a bottle like olive oil or do you have to get it in capsules?

nogutsnoglory

I have seen them in squeeze bottles. I think they are highly unstable and need refrigeration. They probably also make them in capsule version.

Barlean's organic is a really good brand as is Vega.

Something else to consider - your husband might also take some fish oil, if he isn't already. Flax oil, along with a few other plant oils are rich in the omega 3 ALA. Fish oil has the omega 3s EPA/DHA which are believed to also have benefits for Crohn's patients.

"Can fish oil maintain Crohn's disease in remission?"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8961753

One of the greatest challenges in managing Crohn's disease is to maintain remission. Although pharmacologic approaches to maintaining Crohn's disease in remission have significantly improved, most of the currently available modalities are associated with significant morbidity. Recently, an enteric-coated preparation of fish oil has been shown to be effective in reducing the rate of relapse in patients with Crohn's disease in remission who are at high risk of relapse. Because of minimal side effects, fish oil appears to be an ideal maintenance agent in Crohn's disease. However, until results from studies that compare the therapeutic effect of fish oil to the currently available maintenance agents are available, fish oil supplementation cannot be recommended as a sole maintenance agent at present. It does, however, seem prudent to promote a diet rich in fish oil in patients with Crohn's disease.
PMID: 8961753 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I found some oil that has Omega 3,6 & 9 in it. It has Olive, Avacado amd Flaxseed oils. Gonna give this a try. I looked it up and the health benefits are amazing! If I werent allergic to avacado, I would try it myself for my fibro.

Good luck thunderbear1 with the omega mix! I hope it works out well for your husband. Let us know how it goes.

I thought to quickly chime in as I was afraid my comment about the different types of omega 3 fatty acids might have been confusing. Wanted to mention that generally it is thought omega 6 oils are pro inflammatory. Many with IBD conditions look to limit that fatty acid from their diet.

From the sight, mikeyarmo has a nice write up on the different omega oils and their believed impact on digestive health, along with testing methods:

"Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio and it's impact on health"

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=31741

Hey Beach. Thanks for the info! I might of never known that about the 6. I dont want to cause inflammation. That would be bad. The whole reason he hasnt tried the fish oil supplents is cause of the side effects mentioned in the article. But since they make one without all those effects, Im gonna have to find it. All these meds theyve given him over the years has had such an adverse effect on his body, that we wanna try a more holistic approch. So this is all new to me

thunderbear1 - understandable, all the information and ideas can be overwhelming. Hopfully the fish oil and flax can help.

A side effect I've been able to largely avoid is the dreaded fish burp. Awful when it happens. I did that by keeping the fish oil capsules in the refrigerator.

From my experience, I have MC so different from CD but I believe the omega 3s have helped. Since I began taking fish oil, along with limiting omega 6s, I have not experienced a major flare. I made many changes at the time I began taking omega 3 oils so can't solely attribute my improvement to fish oil. It's an additionally piece of the puzzle.

Since you and your husband are interested in learning more about a dietary and supplement approach you might pick up a copy of Dr Hunter's IBD book. He is a UK based GI professor and physician that built a medical practice around using dietary and supplement ideas for treating Crohn's. He uses pharmaceuticals when needed.

After seeing several others on the sight mention Dr. Hunter's book, I read it myself the other week. It's a good read.

Some additional info. a newspaper article about Dr. Hunter's work:

"How to tackle Crohn's Disease without the help of drugs"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1076594/How-tackle-Crohns-Disease-help-drugs.html