• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Started taking Remicade for my Crohn's...

Hi there. I'm not the best at writing these so bear with me. About two years ago I went to use the bathroom and felt a crazy pain when the stool was passing. I thought I had hemmorrhoids. The pain went away for about 6 months and then they came back even worse. Months past and Doctors kept on giving me creams and putting me on diets. Nothing worked. I went to the hospital now and they said I had anal fissures, and told me that I should find a surgeon to deal with the problem. The surgeon looked at it and confirmed it to be anal fissures. When I went in for surgery he said instead of anal fissures it turned out to be fistula's. I went back home and it started feeling better but of course the pain came back. Also I felt a new bump come out of no where and it was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I went back to the surgeon and said the fistulas didnt heal correctly and you've developed and abscess. So with 2 fistula's and an abscess I wasnt a happy camper. The doctor wanted to find out what was wrong with me and we ran some tests and it turned out I had Crohn's disease....shocker! My sister has been telling me I had that for years lol.

But anyway. That was a really rough explanation of what has been happening to me over the past 2 years. It was the most depressing part of my life and I went through pain I never want to feel again. I've started taking Remicade and its the best I've ever felt! I feel like a new person and I'm ready to start my life again and get back into High School (I'm a Junior).

However there is one thing that I've noticed after I started taking Remicade. ALL I WANT TO DO IS EAT. And I cannot stress that enough. I'm not sure if I wasnt used to eating again (because during this period my appetite went down and I was barely eating) or if the Remicade is just making me hungry! Either way I was wanting to know if it was normal because I'm kind of worried. I've already gained almost 10 pounds!!

Sorry for the quick story but I really just wanted to ask that question but I didnt want to be rude...Thanks!!!!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I am glad to hear that the Remi has been able to settle things for you. I have been on this myself previously and did not noticed anything about being hungry all the time, one thing this could be down to in part is if you are now feeling a lot better in yourself then your appetite may naturally start to increase. It may however be worth checking out our Remi sub forum though in case anyone else has experienced this: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Hi Shadi_3000 welcome to CrohnsForum.

Some people do feel they have increased appetite on Remicade. Check out THIS THREAD. I am so happy it is working for you. Please keep us updated on your progress and Welcome!