• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting and stopping Humira

I was originally on Humira for psoriasis. Now, my GI is thinking about putting me back on. Someone has mentioned hearing that it is not good to start and stop and start due to antibody build up. Does anyone have any more data on this?

Last edited:

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter is trying Humira for the second time. The first time she was on it, it worked really well for two years and then suddenly stopped working. Her dr think it's because she gave up methotrexate which was stopping her from building up antibodies.
However, two years after that we are back on Humira + sulfasalazine (she was on Remicade and mtx for a while but that stopped working too). We didn't test for antibodies (for Humira) because a different doctor said it could work even if she has antibodies. She's been on it for almost two months - no reactions at all and is beginning to feel better.
Good luck!