• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting aza soon!

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I went to my doctor's today and got handed a prescription for iron and azathioprine. Apparently, I weigh too little for the dose to be taken as a tablet (I weigh 41 or so kgs - and I think I'll be on 35mg?) and have to take it as a suspension. Ew! Has anyone ever had the suspension, and what did it taste like?

I don't have the azathioprine yet, since the pharmacy has to order it, but I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, yes, side effects and everything - but on the other hand, if it could get me into remission? I'll take it!

Well, that was just me adding my bit in. I'm almost glad I'll be joining the club - another new experience under my belt! :p

Good luck. I hav eno experience with this medication, but I'm sure if you start experiencing bad side effects, the doc will take you off. And it's always better to be in remission than to flare. The taste shouldn't hold you back in my opiniion.

hawkeye

Staff member
Never had the suspension, must be a dosing thing to get 35mg. I have taken aza since 1991 with no noticed side effects

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Seems a very low dose for your weight. It is normally calculated at 2-2.5mg per kilo of body weight, so an ideal dose for you would be at least 75mg. The 50mg tablets are scored so I don't see that as a problem.

I don't recall ever having read of anyone having taken Imuran as a suspension.

Dusty. xxx

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Yep, I did some research and found that you can get Aza in 10mg and 25mg - so I could have had exactly my dose in tablet form! Grr. But it is a liquid, and we collected it from the pharmacy today. The bottle claims it's 'lemon-flavoured'.
I... really don't want to try it right now, to be honest! I'm putting it off a little with the excuse that we should call the hospital tomorrow to check the results of my TPMT test, since we only had it done on Wednesday and I don't want to take it without first knowing if I should know anything. Call me paranoid, but that's just how I roll. ;)