• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Cimzia

Hi all,

My doc wants me to start Cimzia in the next couple of weeks, and I'm scared! I've only ever taken Pentasa and 6-MP for maintenance until I had to start Entocort Dec 2015. Since then I haven't been able to taper off of the Entocort without a recurrence of symptoms.

I'm worried about all the potential side effects and adverse reactions, like skin cancer (my dad had melanoma) and neurological reactions (I have had unexplained tingling in my arms for the past 10 years). And all the rest of the stuff.

I'm also scared that if it works it will stop working, and I'll be back to square one.

I took Cimzia for a couple of years. I'm on Humira now, but to address your skin cancer concerns, I always use sun screen when I'm outdoors for any length of time and have yearly dermatology checks.

I had some of that peripheral neuropathy while I was on Cimzia and it went away once I stopped taking it.

Never once had an adverse reaction but the drug just stopped working for me so I had to move on.

I've bee on three biologics over the course of about 12 years now. Like many, I have to weigh the benefits over the risks. I looked up short bowel syndrome and it didn't sound appealing, so I take my shots. :)

I hope it goes well for you.

Almost any treatment have side effects. You have option to stop it in any case. Don't worry!

Hi all,

My doc wants me to start Cimzia in the next couple of weeks, and I'm scared! I've only ever taken Pentasa and 6-MP for maintenance until I had to start Entocort Dec 2015. Since then I haven't been able to taper off of the Entocort without a recurrence of symptoms.

I'm worried about all the potential side effects and adverse reactions, like skin cancer (my dad had melanoma) and neurological reactions (I have had unexplained tingling in my arms for the past 10 years). And all the rest of the stuff.

I'm also scared that if it works it will stop working, and I'll be back to square one.