• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Humira tomorrow

Well, the fight with the insurance company/mail order pharmacy has finally reached its end and I will get my first Humira treatment tomorrow morning. I haven't yet decided if I'm excited about this or not. The thought of 4 injections in a row really isn't that exciting, but if it makes me feel better, then BRING IT ON!!!!!! :p

Any advice for me?

I will agree four injections at once is scary. However, Humira has been good for me. I take it with Lialda and am doing well.
I ice the area before injection. that seems to work good.

That's actually good advise from Pen.
I always found that if i injected straight from the fridge, it stung like crazy. But i used to sit with the packet between my legs for a while before injecting to get it up to body temp.

I used both Pen, I found the "pen" easier than the syrine. horses for courses i suppose.

Pen said:
What ever some one prefers... I have had so many needles in my life time I should be a sprinkler system when I drink my water lol. Most did like the pen, the stinging was worse.
:ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2:

I currently use the pens and they are okay, I prefer to inject the Humira into my abdomen because I think it hurts more in my thighs.

mommy1st said:
:ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2:

I currently use the pens and they are okay, I prefer to inject the Humira into my abdomen because I think it hurts more in my thighs.
You really should try to move it about though Mommy.
It can cause little swelling to appear under the skin. If you change the site regularly, it can help prevent this.

danman said:
You really should try to move it about though Mommy.
It can cause little swelling to appear under the skin. If you change the site regularly, it can help prevent this.
Oh I know I try to use my thighs, but for some reason when it is time to do it there I have to make my husband push the button, I am fine to do it by myself when in my abdomen but in my thighs I am a big baby.

OK, so make myself cold and make the meds warm. Got it.

I was supposed to have the syringes, but in the month it took fighting with the insurance and mail-order pharmacy, they screwed that up too. now I have pens. My nurse is NOT going to be happy when she sees those this morning. I am a pain wimp. Or at least I think I am. I have so much pain all the time all over that maybe my tolerance isn't as bad as I thought it was. I did, after all, give birth to 2 babies with absolutely no meds (even though I was begging for them with my daughter). Son was 8 lbs 2 oz too. I guess if I survived that I can survive 4 measly little injections................we shall see.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I had the pens. They really aren't that bad. I found myself laughing to get over the pain - like if you bash your toe into something, and other people see it you might laugh to deal with it, even though it hurts? I also held my breath at first cuz my husband did the shots for me. They are over in like 10 seconds, and after the med goes in the sting is gone. It's really not that bad.
I told my husband - it is SO worth it to feel better! I would do the shots every single day if I had to, as long as I wasn't crapping my pants in public.

If you press on the injection site afterwards, the blood won't pool under the skin, and you will minimise bruising.

Good luck - you'll do fine with the injections!

HOPE ALL WENT WELL WITH THE hUMIRA.
i AM ON IT FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND I, TOO USE THE PENS.
i THINK THEY ARE NICE BUT, YEAH THEY DO STING IF THEY ARE COLD!!!!!

Darn caps lock button....lol

Hope Humira works well for you and makes you feel better soon. Don't panic if it takes a few weeks. I saw no improvements after 5 weeks and was starting to get worried but after 7 weeks I started to feel alot better. I'm on a combo of pred and flagyl as well and this is the best I've felt since being diagnosed. I hope you get the same results.

The stinging only lasts about 10 secs and it's all over. After having so many blood tests and injections I'm not really worried about needles anymore.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief.

Well, I survived! It wasn't that bad. 4 at a time kinda sucked, but it's over. I'd have to compare them to bee stings, except bee stings last longer. I am noticing that my abdominal muscles seem sore now, but I suppose that is to be expected. The nurse said it could take up to 6 months to notice anything. Hopefully it doesn't take that long. My symptoms really aren't that bad, but I sure would like the fatigue to go away. 8 years of it is getting old.

I can't really remember how long it took me to feel the effects, to be honest. But I was just coming off Infliximab/Remy at the time, so I think it was fairly quick, definitely not 6 months!!!

The tummy muscles isn't too odd, I had the same thing go on when I was taking Humira. I doubt it'll take 6 months though. More like maybe a month or 2.

Glad it wasn't too bad for you, Jen! You'll get used to it. I used Humira for about 6 months until it quit helping. I started with the pens in the abdomen, then switched to the syringes to see if they hurt less. Unfortunately they didn't! They both stung a lot, but it didn't last long. I found the abdomen to be a little less painful than the thighs.

Good luck. I hope you get relief with the Humira!