• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Imuran, still on pred, should I stop Pentasa?

Hi, everyone,

I was diagnosed with the symptom of intestine half-obstruction about four weeks ago. Since then, 40mg/d pred was used for 3weeks and this week 35mg/d, tomorrow will be reduced to 30mg/d. Meanwhile I used Mesalazine for about 5-6 weeks. (2 weeks ago, I changed Etiasa to Pentasa because Pentasa is more useful for intestine area.) After 4weeks pred, my symptom do not disappear apparently despite that my CRP was reduced to 6.36 from 49 last week. And I accepted my GI's suggestion that Imuran should be used. Tomorrow morning, after a blood test, i will take an initial dosage of 50mg/d.

However, my question is after using Imuran, what about Pentasa? Should I still take this med, or stop it, or half dosage?

Thanks! Sincerely!

Your doctor will advise what is best to do with pentasa. I was on pentasa for a long time with imuran. I think you will probably stay on pentasa while you start imuran to see how it goes and while you find the correct dosage for you. After a while if your symptoms improve they may suggest taking you off pentasa.
Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon!

My doctor always kept me on Lialda (same as Pentasa) and just added other meds on top of it. Ask your GI before stopping it.

David

Co-Founder
Mesalamine, the active ingredient in Pentasa, has been shown to increase the levels of 6-TGN in the body. 6-TGN is the metabolite that they feel is what causes the therapeutic benefit of Azathioprine and 6-MP. If the levels are too high, it can lead to side effects such as myelosuppression. If it's too low, then the Azathioprine might not help you. Point being, if you're going to be on Azathioprine and Pentasa, there is an interaction between the two. I'd suggest discussing the idea of monitoring 6-TGN levels with your doctor as the Pentasa may either be beneficial or increase the risk of serious side effects and there's no way to know unless that is monitored.

All my statements can be sourced by following the 6-TGN link above to its wiki article and the references at the bottom. :)