• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Mercaptopurine

Hey - Thanks for reading.
I've been on Humira for 6 months and once it started working, it worked for two months and then quit. I'm still taking it but also just started Mercaptopurine 3 weeks ago. I've had a couple of days without pain or palpable swelling - my first in months - and i'm wondering if it could be the Mercaptopurine even though it's only been three weeks.
Has any one had experience with their Mercaptopurine starting to be effective within a month of starting it? It's possible it's not the drug, I just want to know so I can keep doing whatever it is i'm doing?...
Thank you for your thoughts

It could be. Some people feel better sooner and others take 3+ months. I would just keep taking it and hopefully it will continue to work for you.

It can take up to 3 months to reach full effectiveness but its not unheard of for people to start feeling the benefits after a few weeks, it does sound as though you may be responding well to the medication.

I'm sure your GI will be keeping a good eye on you with bloods etc so he/she is the best person to help you understand what is going on and if the medication has reached therapeutic levels.